Jul 10, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
What the Nets don’t want is to be left with nothing.
The Nets have been engaged with Lopez’s representatives on a maximum contract extension, and if they feel like the possibility of acquiring Howard is slipping away, they’ll likely move to complete a deal with the restricted free agent in the next few days.
A max deal is overpaying for Lopez. Plain and simple. He’s good offensively when healthy — he averaged 19.2 points per game on 49 percent shooting and he can step out and stretch a defense, hitting 41 percent of his shots from beyond 16 feet last season. However, he’s a below average rebounder for the position and his defense needs work. He’s a young big who can score, he’s going to get paid, but a max is too much from where I sit.
Negotiations alert: If I were trying to light a fire under the Magic (or other teams in the trade mix) this is exactly what I would leak if I were the Nets.
That doesn’t make it any less real. Deron Williams is good with this, emphasizing again before Team USA’s practice in Las Vegas Tuesday that he is happy with the Nets as constructed and if they bring back Lopez he believes they can do a lot of damage in the East. He wouldn’t play the Dwight Howard speculation game.
The Magic are still trying to work a deal with the Nets, but Cleveland has pulled out and unless they can find a third team to replace them (the Bobcats are rumored but that is a hard sell) the two teams would have to figure out a straight up deal. And they haven’t been able to do that for a year now.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?