Jul 10, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
What the Nets don’t want is to be left with nothing.
The Nets have been engaged with Lopez’s representatives on a maximum contract extension, and if they feel like the possibility of acquiring Howard is slipping away, they’ll likely move to complete a deal with the restricted free agent in the next few days.
A max deal is overpaying for Lopez. Plain and simple. He’s good offensively when healthy — he averaged 19.2 points per game on 49 percent shooting and he can step out and stretch a defense, hitting 41 percent of his shots from beyond 16 feet last season. However, he’s a below average rebounder for the position and his defense needs work. He’s a young big who can score, he’s going to get paid, but a max is too much from where I sit.
Negotiations alert: If I were trying to light a fire under the Magic (or other teams in the trade mix) this is exactly what I would leak if I were the Nets.
That doesn’t make it any less real. Deron Williams is good with this, emphasizing again before Team USA’s practice in Las Vegas Tuesday that he is happy with the Nets as constructed and if they bring back Lopez he believes they can do a lot of damage in the East. He wouldn’t play the Dwight Howard speculation game.
The Magic are still trying to work a deal with the Nets, but Cleveland has pulled out and unless they can find a third team to replace them (the Bobcats are rumored but that is a hard sell) the two teams would have to figure out a straight up deal. And they haven’t been able to do that for a year now.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 0
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 26
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29