Jul 10, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
It’s been an open secret, for most of the past season — long-time Lakers owner Jerry Buss is battling some health issues, including leg clots that had him hospitalized for a few days. Things were worse early last season but improved as the season wore on and into the playoffs. Jim Buss, his son who is running the Lakers, said he watched playoff games with his dad.
Currently Buss is hospitalized, something first reported by TMZ. The Lakers responded by issuing this statement through team spokesman John Black.
“In response to media inquiries and to dispel rumors and inaccurate reports we’d like to state that Dr. Buss is in a local hospital where he is being treated for dehydration. He is recovering and is expected to be released soon.”
We wish one of the few men who has really shaped the NBA a speedy recovery.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record