Jul 10, 2012, 2:06 AM EDT
That’s it. I’m calling it. Creative Artists Agency is run by aliens.
That’s the only conclusion I have as the behemoth representation agency that counts among its clients LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and several members of both the Knicks’ roster and management office has announced that J.R. Smith will return to the Knicks, on a two-year deal, worth less than $6 million.
From ESPN New York:
The veteran shooting guard will sign a two-year contract worth $2.8 million, two league sources told ESPNNewYork.com. The deal is guaranteed for the first season and contains a player option for the second season.
“I have decided to re-sign with the Knicks. I just felt that, despite my other options, New York is the best situation for me,” Smith said in a statement released to ESPNNewYork.com. “Coach (Mike) Woodson showed a lot of faith and trust in me last season, as did (Knicks owner) Mr. (James) Dolan and the organization.
“My teammates are great to play with and New York fans are the best. I can’t wait to get started.”
This is a spectacular bargain for Smith, who is a veteran shot-maker who can light up the scoreboard. Getting him at this price, even with his temperament and shooting conscience, is downright spectacular. He’s a phenomenal reserve and a quality starter. He even showed decent defensive skills last season for one of the best defenses in the league in New York. He can be an elite scorer, if only or stretches.
And he’s coming back to New York on a sweetheart deal.
The Knicks will retain all the primary members of last year’s team, add Jason Kidd and Marcus Camby, and make another run with hopefully a healthy Jeremy Lin and Amar’e Stoudemire. The Knicks may have made no substantial steps forward, but they’ve also managed the war of attrition and found an opportunity to maintain their success.
Either way, seriously, aliens.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1