Jul 10, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
When you were watching the NBA finals, you were watching a lot of Team USA.
Four guys — LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden — played all the way into late June, through the war of attrition that is the NBA playoffs, only to have to turn around and be in Las Vegas for Team USA training camp a few weeks later.
But so far, no signs of fatigue, USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Tuesday.
“Durant and Westbrook and Harden, they could play all day, eight hours a day, because they are young,” Colangelo said. “We’re watching LeBron carefully, but he doesn’t appear he’s laboring at all and he’s picking his spots.
Colangelo said there was never a concern that LeBron wouldn’t be part of the team, so long as health allowed him (unlike Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, who both begged out after the finals due to injuries).
“(LeBron) knew we were not going to push him at all,” Colangelo said. “We were going to give the players that went deep into the playoffs the time they needed. We won’t look at this week as being our camp — it’s a four-week camp. And as long as we are ready for London we’re good.”
The other guys not in playoff shape were ready, too, Colangelo said.
“Carmelo (Anthony), he didn’t go deep in the playoffs but he came in here in great shape and it shows,” Colangelo said.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 3
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 11
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)