Jul 10, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
If Dwight Howard is going to be a Brooklyn Net anytime soon, either Magic and Nets are going to have to find another team to facilitate this or they are going to have to figure out a two-team trade. Something they have been unable to do for a year.
Talks are still going on to complete Dwight Howard blockbuster trade to the Brooklyn Nets but the Cleveland Cavaliers are now out of the picture, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network. That makes this deal much harder to pull off because the Magic want cap relief and the Nets do not want to take on the deals of both Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries. ESPN reports that the Bobcats have been mentioned as a potential third trading partner, although they have a long way to go.
Cleveland could be out in part because they could not come to an agreement with Humphries on a sing-and-trade. Cleveland had wanted to do a one-year deal, Humphries was thinking four and the two sides apparently could not reach a compromise.
But there may be more to it, ESPN reports.
Multiple league executives told ESPN.com on Sunday that there is growing reluctance among some teams to participate in the sort of three-team deal that would get Howard to Brooklyn, amid some league wide dissatisfaction that the Los Angeles Lakers were able to swing a deal for Steve Nash last week.
“You can talk about the new (luxury) tax all you want, but if the Lakers get Nash and the Nets get Howard, then what did the new CBA accomplish?” one GM said. “You have to realize part of long-term planning is making sure you don’t help create teams you can’t beat.”
While this deal teeters and may fall, the Magic continued to talk to other teams, reports ESPN. The Lakers and Rockets were interested but not close to a deal, still talks are going on. But they are a long way from reality.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4