Jul 10, 2012, 8:03 PM EST
So, how about a three way deal.
HOOPSWORLD has learned that there have been preliminary discussions between the Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets that would involve sending Andrew Bynum to the Rockets, Howard to the Lakers and a number of first-round picks, prospects and significant cap relief to the Magic.
The Magic are not necessarily in love with the idea of giving either Bynum or Brook Lopez a sizable, long-term commitment as they go through a major roster overhaul. Draft picks and prospects, a la the Denver Nuggets’ return on Carmelo Anthony, is said to be more appealing to Orlando.
While that’s out there, it is a long, long way from reality. Houston would have to take on Jason Richardson or one of the other Magic toxic contracts they want to dump? Is Lakers owner Jim Buss really ready to trade away Bynum and bet that Howard will re-sign when he has said he doesn’t want to go to L.A.? Tthe Rockets would be willing to rent Howard, but what about Bynum? And would Bynum agree to extend in Houston? And there are more questions.
The sides are talking, but the only thing for sure is that the Magic are talking to everyone now.
The Magic have pulled back following the death of the three-team Howard deal with Brooklyn and are looking at all their options.
That includes a straight up deal with the Nets (the one the Magic have basically rejected for a year now) or a straight up one with the Rockets not involving the Lakers. The Nets, however, are in talks with Brook Lopez and may just re-sign him and go with the team they have now (Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, et al.).
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 3
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 31
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)