Jul 10, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
This was a no-brainer.
The Clippers offered and Blake Griffin has accepted a five-year, $95 million max extension to his contract with the Clippers, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. This is a “Rose rule” deal allows him to get 30 percent of the team’s cap space in his second contract, so long as he makes next season’s All-Star team. Which is pretty much a given.
Him getting this deal was also a given. Griffin is a max-player — and All-Star and Olympian who was the heart of changing the culture of one of the worst franchises in the NBA. Without Griffin and what he did as a rookie there is no Chris Paul trade, there is no team on the rise talk.
Griffin was a true 20 and 10 guy last season, shooting 54.9 percent from the floor, with a PER of 23.5. That is after just two-years in the league at age 23 — he is going to get a lot better.
There are detractors — aren’t there always — who want to say “all he can do is dunk.” First, Griffin is a better passer out of the double team on the block than most bigs his age (way better than Andrew Bynum). His midrange game (37 percent from 16 feet out to the arc) has a ways to go but is improving, and late last season he started to show some consistency with a Duncanesque 15-foot bank shot from the wing. He’s getting there.
And by the way, the dunk is the single most efficient shot in basketball. If you give any coach a player who can get to the rim and dunk it five times a game, they will take it. That is a skill in and of itself. His fierce dunks aren’t all showboat, they are two points that fires up his team.
This was a gimme and there was no way Griffin was going to turn down his first supersized NBA contract.
Now the Clippers just need to convince Chris Paul to stay with him next summer when CP3 is a free agent.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 17
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10