Jul 10, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
This was a no-brainer.
The Clippers offered and Blake Griffin has accepted a five-year, $95 million max extension to his contract with the Clippers, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. This is a “Rose rule” deal allows him to get 30 percent of the team’s cap space in his second contract, so long as he makes next season’s All-Star team. Which is pretty much a given.
Him getting this deal was also a given. Griffin is a max-player — and All-Star and Olympian who was the heart of changing the culture of one of the worst franchises in the NBA. Without Griffin and what he did as a rookie there is no Chris Paul trade, there is no team on the rise talk.
Griffin was a true 20 and 10 guy last season, shooting 54.9 percent from the floor, with a PER of 23.5. That is after just two-years in the league at age 23 — he is going to get a lot better.
There are detractors — aren’t there always — who want to say “all he can do is dunk.” First, Griffin is a better passer out of the double team on the block than most bigs his age (way better than Andrew Bynum). His midrange game (37 percent from 16 feet out to the arc) has a ways to go but is improving, and late last season he started to show some consistency with a Duncanesque 15-foot bank shot from the wing. He’s getting there.
And by the way, the dunk is the single most efficient shot in basketball. If you give any coach a player who can get to the rim and dunk it five times a game, they will take it. That is a skill in and of itself. His fierce dunks aren’t all showboat, they are two points that fires up his team.
This was a gimme and there was no way Griffin was going to turn down his first supersized NBA contract.
Now the Clippers just need to convince Chris Paul to stay with him next summer when CP3 is a free agent.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32