Jul 9, 2012, 7:16 PM EDT
But come Wednesday (and for one week after that) what other guys are likely going to be sent packing with the amnesty clause this year?
Larry Coon of ESPN put together a comprehensive list and here is what we know — there will likely be a few, but not many. Remember, teams only get one for this CBA and guys who get amnestied get their full salary, they just come off a team’s official books. Also, they then go into a special waiver wire where teams below the salary cap can bid on taking over a portion of their salary and getting their services. For example, Brand will be amnestied and the Mavericks are expected to bid on him. If they win the bid process with a hypothetical $4 million bid, then he plays in Dallas, they pay him $4 million (on their books) and Philly ponies up the remaining $14 million Brand is owed.
Here are they guys at the top of Coon’s list, with paraphrasings of his thoughts mixed with a few of mine.
Using the amnesty clause on Haywood once seemed like a foregone conclusion as the Mavs maneuvered to clear cap room for the likes of Deron Williams. But after failing to land a big-name free agent, the Mavs are no longer desperate for the cap room.
Metta World Peace, Los Angeles Lakers: They have been looking to move him for a while now, but if he is not key to the new Lakers rotation, do they amnesty him to save some tax money?
Mike Miller, Miami Heat: There is real logic here — he is owed $18.8 million over three years for a team that just got Ray Allen and is over the tax line. But reports out of Miami say the Heat will not be making any amnesty moves this year. Maybe Miller retires, but would you leave that much money on the table?
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 1
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 5
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24