Jul 9, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Jason Thompson is one of the NBA’s better kept secrets. Mostly because nobody really watched the Sacramento Kings the past couple years.
He’s a 6’11” athletic power forward who can get to the rim and shot 39 percent beyond 16 feet (good enough that you have to respect it). He scored 9.1 points per game on 53 percent shooting last year with a PER of 16.4 — he’s good and getting better.
The Kings are smart to keep him and have agreed to terms on a multi-year deal, reports the Sacramento Bee. There are not a lot of details but it is supposed to average $6 million a year.
The Kings currently have a little cap space to play with, but don’t expect them to use much of it. They will tell you it is the team needing to keep flexibility for when Tyreke Evans and Cousins need their deal extended. That or the owners are cash poor. Take your pick.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1