Jul 9, 2012, 7:58 AM EDT
Teams rarely become good overnight in the NBA. They build it up over time — think of the Thunder model, who took steps forward every season the past three years. What Miami did is the aberration.
Minnesota could be one of those teams on the rise, but Kevin Love wants management to speed up the process.
Love is in Las Vegas for Team USA camp and being around guys like that — many of them teammates — has Love frustrated, he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
“My patience is not high,” Love said. “Would yours be, especially when I’m a big proponent of greatness surrounding itself with greatness? All these [Team USA] guys seem to have great players around them.
“It’s tough seeing all these guys that are young and older who have all played in the playoffs. When they start talking about that, I have nothing to talk about. If I don’t make the playoffs next year I don’t know what will happen.”
Nothing. That’s what will happen.
Next season you start your first deal after your rookie and you’ll make $12.9 million and $62 million total over the next four. Now, you can opt out after season three and you did that to keep pressure on Minnesota management — a smart move — but basing what you will do in three years off what happens next season is foolish.
And you should be on an improved team next year. Ricky Rubio will return from his knee injury (at some point) and you’ll have a star young point guard again. Chase Budinger provides some athleticism. Management added Brandon Roy, which has some upside. Derrick Williams should improve.
And you should be a borderline playoff team under Rick Adelman. If Love wants to make sure Minnesota makes the playoffs, he should spend this offseason improving his defense.
But speaking out now and again to keep pressure on management? Good strategy.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars