Jul 9, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
Anthony Randolph had himself a nice little season last year. After years of being the do-it-all forward who couldn’t do anything, he landed in Minnesota and showed some genuine talent and the ability to legitimately play the 4, something which had eluded him for years in Golden State. With Minnesota, he finally made some progress, but not enough for them to retain him.
One team that’s taking a look at him, and which makes sense since they’re bargain shopping, is the Hawks. From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
The Hawks met with free agent forward Anthony Randolph over the weekend. Ferry said the Hawks also are scheduled to meet with free agent forward Rashard Lewis, who didn’t commit to the Heat after meeting with the team in Miami on Sunday.
Randolph would be an odd fit in Atlanta, but a lineup featuring Josh Smith at the 3, Al Horford at the 5 with Randolph at the 4 would be mesmerizing with the amount of freakish athleticism on the floor. Randolph was heralded as the next great point forward, but lacks the guard abilities to point and certainly can’t guard anyone. But he’s getting there.
The truth is that Randolph’s best days are in front of him. Ferry’s smart to pursue bargain deals like one for Randolph in order to fill out the rebuilding Hawks’ roster.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 21
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 9
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (51)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)