Jul 9, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Anthony Randolph had himself a nice little season last year. After years of being the do-it-all forward who couldn’t do anything, he landed in Minnesota and showed some genuine talent and the ability to legitimately play the 4, something which had eluded him for years in Golden State. With Minnesota, he finally made some progress, but not enough for them to retain him.
One team that’s taking a look at him, and which makes sense since they’re bargain shopping, is the Hawks. From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
The Hawks met with free agent forward Anthony Randolph over the weekend. Ferry said the Hawks also are scheduled to meet with free agent forward Rashard Lewis, who didn’t commit to the Heat after meeting with the team in Miami on Sunday.
Randolph would be an odd fit in Atlanta, but a lineup featuring Josh Smith at the 3, Al Horford at the 5 with Randolph at the 4 would be mesmerizing with the amount of freakish athleticism on the floor. Randolph was heralded as the next great point forward, but lacks the guard abilities to point and certainly can’t guard anyone. But he’s getting there.
The truth is that Randolph’s best days are in front of him. Ferry’s smart to pursue bargain deals like one for Randolph in order to fill out the rebuilding Hawks’ roster.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead