Jul 9, 2012, 12:42 PM EST
At the start of last season, DeJuan Blair was the Spurs special find. Everybody wanted their own Blair — hard working guy who did the dirty work inside, would score efficiently (53.4 percent shooting last year) and could rebound a little. He started nearly every game for the Spurs last season.
By the end of the playoffs, Blair was out of the Spurs rotation.
“I’m trying to get down to 260 (pounds), and it’s working,” Blair said. “I’ll be great by September. I know I’m on the trading block, so we’ll see what happens…
“I love the Spurs, but they’ve got a lot of ‘bigs,’ and they’re bringing somebody else from overseas, so where am I going to fall at?” he said. “I was out of the rotation at the end of the season, so imagine next year. That’s something I really don’t want to go through again, because it tore me down.”
There should be a lot of interest in him, I can think of 29 teams who could use a guy like that. The Spurs probably do move him, but not until they find a deal they really like. Which means he needs to be patient because that could be this week or in training camp. Or later. San Antonio will wait for the market to come to them.
But it’s a safe bet that whenever next season tips off he is not a Spur.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 1
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 23
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)