Jul 8, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
This is unexpected.
Yahoo Sports reports that restricted free agent Ryan Anderson will not re-sign with the Magic and will be moved in a sign-and-trade. Shortly thereafter, the Orlando Sentinel reported that the Hornets are in talks with the Magic for a sign-and-trade of the stretch four.
The news comes as a shocker with huge implications. It was assumed that Anderson would be re-signed as the face of the future of the Magic, after a year in which he was very much a candidate for Most Improved Player. He shot the lights out in an expanded role and continued his rebounding ways. The Hornets could look to pair him with No. 1 overall draft pick Anthony Davis in a small-ball lineup that would spread the floor for Davis to work in the pick and roll and attack the basket.
The Hornets’ biggest problem last year was making shots and Anderson can score, defend, and rebound. He averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds per 36 last season for the Magic, shooting 39 percent from the arc. He’s an all-around player who can’t create on his own but can punish teams with his range and versatility and attacks the glass all the same.
For the Magic, the first words that come to mind are “Dwight Howard.” Any move like this that indicates a rebuilding effort and a reshaping of the roster would lean towards the Magic prepping for a trade. Ken Berger at CBSSports.com reports the Nets are trying to package three first-rounders to send to Orlando. That would require a third team wanting to give up a first-rounder to overpay Brook Lopez, but isn’t inconceivable.
UPDATE 4:17 p.m.: Surprisingly, word out of Orlando is that this is not a precursor to a Howard trade. The Anderson deal is a 4-year, $36 million sign-and-trade according to Yahoo Sports. CBSSports.com reports Gustavo Ayon is a centerpiece being sent to Orlando, which shows you how much of a cash dump this is, despite Ayon’s upside.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80