Jul 8, 2012, 9:46 PM EST
Free agent forward Ersan Ilyasova is close to an agreement on a five-year, $45 million contract to stay with the Milwaukee Bucks, agent Tolga Tugsavul tells HoopsHype.
Ilyasova stands as one of the best value contracts on the market. he was hyper-productive and efficient last season for the Bucks. Some point to his jump in production as an outlier, but in reality, there were signs in the 2011 season that he was headed in that direction. He can space the floor, rebound, attack the rim and still has a lot of potential in front of him.
The question is whether a $9 million per year deal is too much. He’s not a top option, and it’s easy to argue he’s a third or fourth option. But his versatility and rebounding bring enough to the team to make this worth it. Then you have consider team need. The Bucks desperately need low-post scoring with the way they’re set up. Samuel Dalembert, John Henson, Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sanders, none can stretch the floor or score inside. You have to pay for positional value, and the Bucks are here.
If they’re wrong on Ilyasova, they’re stuck with a long-term contract that’s movable but not too sweet. If they landed a huge production player, they could have the base of something to build off. Either way, they couldn’t afford to lose Ilyasova, and they have the long-term money to be able to swallow this one. Good deal.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13