Nic Batum’s agent hopes the Blazers won’t do something they are totally going to do. He should learn to live with disappointment.
Jul 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
CSN Northwest spoke with Nicolas Batum‘s agent, who is living in fairytale world and is desperate to get around reality. Funny thing. Reality just kind of is.
Batum has agreed to terms with the Timberwolves on a large 4-year, $45 million offer sheet. He is restricted, so the Blazers are going to match. Considering the fact that they’ve turned down trade offers for everything short of a gold kitchen sink and a GM’s first-born son should be no surprise to anyone. But nooooo…
From Batum’s agent to CSNNW.com:
“His mind is not there in Portland. Out of that meeting with the Blazers on Thursday, we hoped they would allow him to live his dream. The best case scenario is a sign-and-trade and we understand that. Hopefully, Paul Allen would never stand in the way of his dream to play for the Timberwolves,” is what Nicolas Batums agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told CSNNW.com Saturday evening.
“Hes a player that likes to move around and thats what he likes about Minnesota. Requesting a sign-and-trade was part of it, but not all of it. He went there to tell them theres no hard feelings, I dont hate you, but my heart isnt there. Thats what he told them.”
Never going to happen, but that’s nice.
Portland GM Neil Olshey told Batum and his agent, as has been reported a million times, that they’re going to match.
This “his heart is in (insert city)” stuff has to stop. It’s out of control. Your heart is wherever you are. You know how I know that? If it wasn’t, your brain would get no circulation and you would die. Restricted free agency is a pain. No one is denying that. But it’s the reality. And these stories about hopes and dreams are silly in the face of what will happen.
In a few years, Batum can head to Minnesota, or Houston, or back to France or Istanbul. But next year, he’ll be a Blazer. They know his value and have his rights because he didn’t sign the qualifying offer.
Them’s the breaks.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49