Jul 8, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Back where his career began. You love homecoming stories. Unless you’re one of the fans who turned on him, then you probably hate it. But still!
Kirk Hinrich is headed back to the Bulls, via the Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson:
Hinrich, who spent his first seven seasons with the Bulls, is expected to sign a two-year deal worth just over $6 million, one source said, though details were still being finalized. The free-agent moratorium ends July 11.
Hinrich fills in cheap at a spot they need help. They need someone to manage the offense with Derrick Rose out until January recovering from injury. He’s a willing defender, and will likely split time with rookie Marquis Teague. Hinrich’s sliding as a defender at age 32 but can still get the job done in coach Tom Thibodeau’s system, since Thibs could make a cardboard box into a good defender. Hey, he even made Carlos Boozer into a decent one!
This likely means C.J. Watson will be playing elsewhere next season, and as ESPN’s John Hollinger notes, this is the MLE, which could be a sign they match the offer for Omer Asik, which is sure to divide Bulls fans.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7