Kirk Hinrich agrees to deal with Chicago Bulls

Jul 8, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Back where his career began. You love homecoming stories. Unless you’re one of the fans who turned on him, then you probably hate it. But still!

Kirk Hinrich is headed back to the Bulls, via the Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson:

Hinrich, who spent his first seven seasons with the Bulls, is expected to sign a two-year deal worth just over $6 million, one source said, though details were still being finalized. The free-agent moratorium ends July 11.

via Hinrich verbally commits to Bulls – chicagotribune.com.

Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com has confirmed the deal.

Hinrich fills in cheap at a spot they need help. They need someone to manage the offense with Derrick Rose out until January recovering from injury. He’s a willing defender, and will likely split time with rookie Marquis Teague. Hinrich’s sliding as a defender at age 32 but can still get the job done in coach Tom Thibodeau’s system, since Thibs could make a cardboard box into a good defender. Hey, he even made Carlos Boozer into a decent one!

/badum-ching

This likely means C.J. Watson will be playing elsewhere next season, and as ESPN’s John Hollinger notes, this is the MLE, which could be a sign they match the offer for Omer Asik, which is sure to divide Bulls fans.

1. blueintown - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Watch out, Miami Heat. #mediocrityensues #basketballhell

• itsthemelman82 - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM

You again, it figures… Anyway, welcome back captain Kirk! Solid move but they still need a 2 guard taller than 6’3. I read Michael Redd is who they’re looking at. Cool, but, I think Gerald Green from the Nets would be a nice move. He’s matured & is still very young and athletic. They need bodies to fill out the roster, might as well go young.

• blueintown - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yes, me again with my radical position of great players being better than good players, great players being key to great basketball teams, etc. It’s astonishing, and understandably difficult to conceptualize. Maybe I’ll write a book. The working title will be “Why Getting Better Basketball Players Will Make Your Basketball Team Better at Basketball Than Other Teams With Worse Basketball Players”. It’s going to change the game.

You’ll probably also be thrilled to know the Bulls are talking to Jerryd Bayless. Try and contain your excitement.

• itsthemelman82 - Jul 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Well, blue… Though we totally disagree on constructing a team, I’d actually pick that book up. Partially for laughs but, you convey your thoughts & ideas well so it might make for an interesting read. Guess there won’t be a chapter on the concept of team. Btw Bayless would be a great addition but, he’s the same size of the rest of the guards on this team.

• blueintown - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Melman. Seriously. C’mon. You can’t really believe or anything they have done the last two offseasons brings them closer to a championship. Like, at all. Do you? I’m genuinely curious.

• blueintown - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

*believe that* would probably make more sense.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Awesome

2. dvic13 - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I understand where u are coming from, but st the same time who is out there that bulls have a realistic shoot of getting?

• blueintown - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Fair question, dvic13. The Bulls have acquired enough assets to explore the trade market. A guy like Gasol has been said to be available (though that isn’t the direction I would go, and I suspect he will remain in L.A.). I have been adamant about them pursuing Dwight Howard, because adding the best big man in the game is never a bad decision (no matter what itsthemelman82 tries to tell you). If he is truly intent on not signing an extension, then you’re going to get him at an even greater value.

Make the deal and let it play out. If he signs the extension (which I think he would in the long run – perhaps by his own desire or even more so a lack of options), great, you have a REAL core for the foreseeable future. And if he decides to walk? Fine. Not desirable, but it’s his choice. You free up ample cap space, Mirotic arrives, and Charlotte’s lottery picked becomes unprotected in the near future. This team has been faced with this opportunity before (Kobe Bryant), and wet the bed on it. I don’t want the Bulls to be competitive. I want them to hang banners. Having the best regular season record for six or seven years and losing in the conference semifinals/finals is about as desirable to me as winning twenty games a year.

3. aldavis4president - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Everyone on the bulls team is overrated except luol deng..yep..sounds like everyteam In the east

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I’m sorry but I do believe the champ is from the east

4. iowahbr - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Glad to see Hinrich is back but hope that this isn’t the way to keep the Turkish Wall. Let him go pleeezzzz as the thought of his getting a pass, bringing the ball down, getting fouled and then laying 2 bricks at the free throw line just will not leave me. Been there, down that already.

5. aldavis4president - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Especially the heat…hopefully they resign those refs that gave em that ring! Cuz they wudnt have won it w.o dem!!

6. chilechipotle - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Boring!!! Yawn!!! Nothing like reeling in a fish you already threw back. When will we get a real look at some championship players? Looks like we will have to wait another 20 years for a decent team.

7. 91devinhester23 - Jul 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM

needed cheap but decent pg for next season. got one. fans complaining about not superstar pickup.

Hello? I think we’re pretty good to go on the point guard position

8. chicagosworth - Jul 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

He played well in Chicago, could have played better but we have to work with it. The Bulls will be back in the playoffs, this time the banner!

9. icewinna0 - Jul 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM

C.J. Watson can light it up I would love to have him on my team. But they like Marquis Teague so they went ahead and signed a veteran guard in Kirk Hinrich. Smart moves knowing that Rose will be missing some games. John Lucas can play a little too.

10. asublimeday - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM

For Christs sake, stop making everything about Lebron

Nobody in Chicago turned on Heinrich. He famously wanted to be in Chicago and the fans and franchise wanted him as well. It just wasn’t financially feasible as the bulls were prepared to make a run at one of the Miami 3.

Don’t write things just for the sake of seeing words on your trendy Mac screen.

11. asublimeday - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Hinrich*

Also, blueintown, if you’re nearly as insufferable in real life as you are on the internet, I don’t have to root for you to kill yourself as much as I do. Your life blows enough.

• blueintown - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Um..thanks whoever you are? The mere fact that you state that Bulls fans wanted Hinrich to stay with the franchise tells me either a) you aren’t really a Bulls fan, or b) if you are, you are not one that resides within the city limits of Chicago. Naperville, at best.

• borderline1988 - Jul 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I’d agree with blueintown.

The Bulls are fantastic defensively, but have had real issues scoring the ball. They like to slide in middling players, but the way that the East is nowadays, you need another scoring star on your team to win in the playoffs.

Lebron James needed Bosh and Wade to win a championship, and then some great performances from role players. The runner-up in the East was Boston, which has a plethora of offensive weapons. How do you expect Chicago, with only one legitimate scoring star, to win a championship?

Everyone loves Deng, Noah, Gibson, Asik, etc. but if Chicago is really serious about winning a championship as Rose enters his prime, then one or probably even two of those players will need to be traded for a legitimate scorer..a guy who can put up at least 20 points a game on his own. Those guys just don’t cut it, when you think about the starters that Miami and OKC put on the floor every night.

12. fridge843 - Jul 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

If we are going to pick up another undersized guard I would prefer a scorer thst you could develop into a defensive threat. Come on……. who’s really afraid of Kirk defensively……… I’m not. Oj mayo, Courtney Lee, Lou Williams. all small, all not going back to there previous team, and all under 30 with scoring habits. We still think this Rip experiment is going to work. Let’s be honest fellow bulls fan, Boozer shouldn’t be starting over Taj, and Rip was a bad idea. we are getting older not younger and it’s sad to see us not improving our roster. that is all.

13. hwatt - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

hey how long does boozer have left on his contract? You know the rose-hamilton-deng-noah-HINRICH lineup is coming

14. asublimeday - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Blue, it’s simply a reality that Hinrich is respected in Chicago. I have his jersey hanging in my closet, as do many of my CHICAGO friends. And I do live in the city.

Where are you getting that we wanted him gone? Playing him at 2 guard was a mistake but he is a defensive beast and a solid distributor

• blueintown - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM

You must live in a different Chicago then I, my friend. Kirk Hinrich is a nice, solid player. That’s it. People here don’t give two s**ts about Kirk. Nor should they. Regardless, I have no interest in seeing a reincarnation of a Scott Skiles’ Bulls squad, which is what this essentially is. The Bulls don’t need solid players, they need game changers. They have acquired sufficient assets to explore the trade market for game changing, dynamic NBA athletes. Miami is the NBA champion. You’re not getting through them without elite talent. Stop spinning your tires and go get it.

15. asublimeday - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hwatt,

That’s an awfully small line-up. Boozer will be amnestied after the 2014 season. That’s been common knowledge in Chicago for a year now. Look at the contract.

• hwatt - Jul 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM

well the lineup will be tested, don’t know if it’ll stick. Just assumed it’ll be a better scoring setup than what we have. Thibs can do his patented ‘rotate the personnel on every possession’ thing that he perfected w/Boozer and Taj/Asik. And I don’t want to look at that dude’s contract, not after he betrayed the team in the playoffs. I’m good, man.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches