Jul 8, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Back where his career began. You love homecoming stories. Unless you’re one of the fans who turned on him, then you probably hate it. But still!
Kirk Hinrich is headed back to the Bulls, via the Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson:
Hinrich, who spent his first seven seasons with the Bulls, is expected to sign a two-year deal worth just over $6 million, one source said, though details were still being finalized. The free-agent moratorium ends July 11.
Hinrich fills in cheap at a spot they need help. They need someone to manage the offense with Derrick Rose out until January recovering from injury. He’s a willing defender, and will likely split time with rookie Marquis Teague. Hinrich’s sliding as a defender at age 32 but can still get the job done in coach Tom Thibodeau’s system, since Thibs could make a cardboard box into a good defender. Hey, he even made Carlos Boozer into a decent one!
This likely means C.J. Watson will be playing elsewhere next season, and as ESPN’s John Hollinger notes, this is the MLE, which could be a sign they match the offer for Omer Asik, which is sure to divide Bulls fans.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'