Jul 8, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Back where his career began. You love homecoming stories. Unless you’re one of the fans who turned on him, then you probably hate it. But still!
Kirk Hinrich is headed back to the Bulls, via the Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson:
Hinrich, who spent his first seven seasons with the Bulls, is expected to sign a two-year deal worth just over $6 million, one source said, though details were still being finalized. The free-agent moratorium ends July 11.
Hinrich fills in cheap at a spot they need help. They need someone to manage the offense with Derrick Rose out until January recovering from injury. He’s a willing defender, and will likely split time with rookie Marquis Teague. Hinrich’s sliding as a defender at age 32 but can still get the job done in coach Tom Thibodeau’s system, since Thibs could make a cardboard box into a good defender. Hey, he even made Carlos Boozer into a decent one!
This likely means C.J. Watson will be playing elsewhere next season, and as ESPN’s John Hollinger notes, this is the MLE, which could be a sign they match the offer for Omer Asik, which is sure to divide Bulls fans.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32