Jul 8, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Back where his career began. You love homecoming stories. Unless you’re one of the fans who turned on him, then you probably hate it. But still!
Kirk Hinrich is headed back to the Bulls, via the Chicago Tribune’s K.C. Johnson:
Hinrich, who spent his first seven seasons with the Bulls, is expected to sign a two-year deal worth just over $6 million, one source said, though details were still being finalized. The free-agent moratorium ends July 11.
Hinrich fills in cheap at a spot they need help. They need someone to manage the offense with Derrick Rose out until January recovering from injury. He’s a willing defender, and will likely split time with rookie Marquis Teague. Hinrich’s sliding as a defender at age 32 but can still get the job done in coach Tom Thibodeau’s system, since Thibs could make a cardboard box into a good defender. Hey, he even made Carlos Boozer into a decent one!
This likely means C.J. Watson will be playing elsewhere next season, and as ESPN’s John Hollinger notes, this is the MLE, which could be a sign they match the offer for Omer Asik, which is sure to divide Bulls fans.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)