Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Perhaps you are confused, after Avery Bradley had shoulder surgery during the Eastern Conference Finals.
Yeah, he has to have the other one done. Not good.
CSN New England reports that Bradley will have surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday, and the injury will keep him out for the start of the season.
That’s going to deal a major blow to the Celtics to start the year, as Bradley has been inserted as the starting shooting guard in a two-point-guard lineup that allows him to focus on defense while Rondo aggressively attacks the offense. It gives them a firebug to get out in transition, something they kind of need with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett brontosaurus-ing up and down the floor. Bradley also functions as backup point guard. Without him, the Celtics will have to start Jason Terry at shooting guard.
They’re exploring Courtney Lee per ESPN, and that will help with bench scoring and athleticism, but Bradley is a major part of the Celtics’ future. Having to move pieces around like that is a problem. Maybe more concerning is the number of shoulder injuries that Bradley is dealing with. He would get back on the floor in the playoffs, have the shoulder pop out, miss a few games, come back. He took a ton of wear and tear on those joints throughout the course of the year before finally shutting it down.
The Celtics’ old guys are healthy, and their young guys have health concerns. So bizarre.
- With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? 17
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 72
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 44
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 39
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 86
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 40
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 30
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 51