Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Perhaps you are confused, after Avery Bradley had shoulder surgery during the Eastern Conference Finals.
Yeah, he has to have the other one done. Not good.
CSN New England reports that Bradley will have surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday, and the injury will keep him out for the start of the season.
That’s going to deal a major blow to the Celtics to start the year, as Bradley has been inserted as the starting shooting guard in a two-point-guard lineup that allows him to focus on defense while Rondo aggressively attacks the offense. It gives them a firebug to get out in transition, something they kind of need with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett brontosaurus-ing up and down the floor. Bradley also functions as backup point guard. Without him, the Celtics will have to start Jason Terry at shooting guard.
They’re exploring Courtney Lee per ESPN, and that will help with bench scoring and athleticism, but Bradley is a major part of the Celtics’ future. Having to move pieces around like that is a problem. Maybe more concerning is the number of shoulder injuries that Bradley is dealing with. He would get back on the floor in the playoffs, have the shoulder pop out, miss a few games, come back. He took a ton of wear and tear on those joints throughout the course of the year before finally shutting it down.
The Celtics’ old guys are healthy, and their young guys have health concerns. So bizarre.
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 11
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 9
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 45
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 13