Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Perhaps you are confused, after Avery Bradley had shoulder surgery during the Eastern Conference Finals.
Yeah, he has to have the other one done. Not good.
CSN New England reports that Bradley will have surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday, and the injury will keep him out for the start of the season.
That’s going to deal a major blow to the Celtics to start the year, as Bradley has been inserted as the starting shooting guard in a two-point-guard lineup that allows him to focus on defense while Rondo aggressively attacks the offense. It gives them a firebug to get out in transition, something they kind of need with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett brontosaurus-ing up and down the floor. Bradley also functions as backup point guard. Without him, the Celtics will have to start Jason Terry at shooting guard.
They’re exploring Courtney Lee per ESPN, and that will help with bench scoring and athleticism, but Bradley is a major part of the Celtics’ future. Having to move pieces around like that is a problem. Maybe more concerning is the number of shoulder injuries that Bradley is dealing with. He would get back on the floor in the playoffs, have the shoulder pop out, miss a few games, come back. He took a ton of wear and tear on those joints throughout the course of the year before finally shutting it down.
The Celtics’ old guys are healthy, and their young guys have health concerns. So bizarre.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15