Jul 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Perhaps you are confused, after Avery Bradley had shoulder surgery during the Eastern Conference Finals.
Yeah, he has to have the other one done. Not good.
CSN New England reports that Bradley will have surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday, and the injury will keep him out for the start of the season.
That’s going to deal a major blow to the Celtics to start the year, as Bradley has been inserted as the starting shooting guard in a two-point-guard lineup that allows him to focus on defense while Rondo aggressively attacks the offense. It gives them a firebug to get out in transition, something they kind of need with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett brontosaurus-ing up and down the floor. Bradley also functions as backup point guard. Without him, the Celtics will have to start Jason Terry at shooting guard.
They’re exploring Courtney Lee per ESPN, and that will help with bench scoring and athleticism, but Bradley is a major part of the Celtics’ future. Having to move pieces around like that is a problem. Maybe more concerning is the number of shoulder injuries that Bradley is dealing with. He would get back on the floor in the playoffs, have the shoulder pop out, miss a few games, come back. He took a ton of wear and tear on those joints throughout the course of the year before finally shutting it down.
The Celtics’ old guys are healthy, and their young guys have health concerns. So bizarre.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43