Jul 7, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
Serge Ibaka doesn’t always know the right thing to say in English. He’s still got a sizable language barrier in terms of his English fluency. So whenever he speaks out on something, like he did about LeBron’s defensea few months ago and then apologized, calling it a mistake, you need to take it with a grain of salt. But nonetheless, Ibaka was asked about Spain’s Olympic team he’s playing for and how it stacks up against the US. Good news! According to Serge Ibaka, the U.S. is just as good as Spain! So that’s something to be proud of! From the AP:
“They are just like us, they also have players with a lot of talent,” the Oklahoma City power forward said Saturday in his first full day of training with the Spanish team. “They are a different team to 2008, but their players are still very good.”
Well, that’s good to hear.
Spain is without arguably their best player in star Ricky Rubio who gave teams fits in the 2008 Olympics and impressed NBA players in the Gold Medal final. They also feature the Gasol brothers down low. Team USA’s one big described weakness is inside, without Dwight Howard. The team is wing-heavy but big-man light, especially withe Lamar Odom not joining the team.
With the star power left on Team USA, it’s difficult to see Spain beating them out for the Gold, but it appears they feel they are ready to step up and hang.
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 17
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 15
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5