Jul 7, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
With the implosion of the Dallas Mavericks summer has come a new idea gaining momentum around Big D — should the Mavericks trade Nowitzki, blow the whole thing up and rebuild from the ground up?
Forget it about it.
Mavericks’ general manager Donnie Nelson was interviewed on Dallas radio by the guys rom Dallasbasketball.com and they asked him straight up about that buzz.
“No. It’s not in the cards. He’s got a no-trade clause and we would love for him to retire a Maverick. … He’s a Mav for life.”
The only way Dirk is going to be moved is if he asked to be moved, and he’s not really the kind of guy who does that. Besides, playing next to Dirk is the one draw in free agency and trades that the Mavs have to convince whomever that they can contend in Dallas quickly.
Other Nelson comments from the interview:
• On losing the Deron Williams sweepstakes:
“It was tough. We thought we had a good chance. … It was a tough decision (for him) and a close call. I can’t tell you at the end of the day what the main reason was. Maybe it was the excitement of a new city or arena.
“Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Listen, that happens in sports, in business, in life. You’ve got to pick yourself back up and get back at it. Which we immediately started doing.”
• On not landing Steve Nash either:
“When you make these decisions, a lot goes into it and everyone is different. With Stevie we had a nice presentation but he wanted to be close to his family while making a run for the roses. Three years was something that was important to him and at his age it was a heck of a deal for him.”
Like I said before, Dallas did the right thing and they are still better for having done it then settling to be mediocre.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18