Jul 7, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
In 1992, Michael Jordan had a year as great as any basketball player ever. He averaged 30 points a game shooting 51.9 percent to win the NBA MVP, then carried that over to the playoffs where he led the Bulls to an NBA Championship. In the process, he was named the NBA finals MVP. Then after a couple weeks off he joined up with the original Dream Team and went on to win Olympic gold.
No player had ever done that before.
LeBron James could do it this year.
LeBron averaged 27 points a game on 53.1 percent shooting and took on a larger role with the Heat on both ends of the floor, which led him to be named MVP. Then he carried that level of play through the post season to lead the Heat to the NBA title where he was unanimously named NBA finals MVP.
All he needs now is a gold medal to become the second person in history to have a year like that. (Hat tip to Tim Reynolds of the AP for pointing this out.)
Through everything LeBron has done and said since coming to Miami, my main point has been this — we do not yet know what his legacy will be. Well, I mean outside of Cleveland. He is an elite player in the prime of his career for the next five years and what we will think of him a decade from now and where he fits on the list of the NBA’s all time greats will be determined by these years.
And if he can equal Jordan with this amazing year, that will be part of his legacy, too.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31