Jul 7, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The rich could get even richer.
Yahoo Sports reports that Marcus Camby will still visit the Miami Heat on Saturday. How on Earth, with the money the Heat have committed, could they possible add Marcus Camby and his more-than-vet-minimum salary? Easy. Same way the Lakers snagged Steve Nash. You construct a sign-and-trade with Houston who owns Camby’s Bird Rights as a free agent. From Chris Tommasson of Fox Sports:
After a source said earlier in evening Houston would be open to a possible Marcus Camby sign-and-trade, a source said Camby will keep his visit with the Heat on Saturday in Miami. He is not interested in coming to Miami for the $1.35 million veteran minimum, which is all they have left due to Ray Allen getting the $3.09 million exception. As I was tweeting right when news broke about Allen coming to Miami, could Shane Battier, a draft pick and cash entice the Rockets for Camby?
You have to think this is excessive. I mean, really. The defending NBA champions which features LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, and Shane Battier adds Ray Allen and Marcus Camby? Even at Camby’s age, he fits perfectly on the Heat. He’s the center they’ve been shopping for, a legitimately tall, long center who has veteran experience and can still challenge at the rim. Camby’s somewhere in-between Joel Anthony and Zydrunas Ilguaskas in terms of skillset and age. He would add another layer to what the Heat bring to the table and make them that much tougher.
All within the rules of the new CBA that was supposed to hurt super teams.
Camby’s not going to be any sort of game-changer for Miami, but it does make them stronger. And you can ask the Celtics and Thunder. They don’t need to get any stronger. Scary times for the rest of the league, if Riley pulls this off.
What can the Heat offer the Rockets? Does it matter at this point? Morey’s up to something that’s long, involved, and is either aimed at a huge move or a rebuild. If he can get anything for Camby, it’s a win. This is possible, if unlikely.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (66)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million