Jul 7, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The rich could get even richer.
Yahoo Sports reports that Marcus Camby will still visit the Miami Heat on Saturday. How on Earth, with the money the Heat have committed, could they possible add Marcus Camby and his more-than-vet-minimum salary? Easy. Same way the Lakers snagged Steve Nash. You construct a sign-and-trade with Houston who owns Camby’s Bird Rights as a free agent. From Chris Tommasson of Fox Sports:
After a source said earlier in evening Houston would be open to a possible Marcus Camby sign-and-trade, a source said Camby will keep his visit with the Heat on Saturday in Miami. He is not interested in coming to Miami for the $1.35 million veteran minimum, which is all they have left due to Ray Allen getting the $3.09 million exception. As I was tweeting right when news broke about Allen coming to Miami, could Shane Battier, a draft pick and cash entice the Rockets for Camby?
You have to think this is excessive. I mean, really. The defending NBA champions which features LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, and Shane Battier adds Ray Allen and Marcus Camby? Even at Camby’s age, he fits perfectly on the Heat. He’s the center they’ve been shopping for, a legitimately tall, long center who has veteran experience and can still challenge at the rim. Camby’s somewhere in-between Joel Anthony and Zydrunas Ilguaskas in terms of skillset and age. He would add another layer to what the Heat bring to the table and make them that much tougher.
All within the rules of the new CBA that was supposed to hurt super teams.
Camby’s not going to be any sort of game-changer for Miami, but it does make them stronger. And you can ask the Celtics and Thunder. They don’t need to get any stronger. Scary times for the rest of the league, if Riley pulls this off.
What can the Heat offer the Rockets? Does it matter at this point? Morey’s up to something that’s long, involved, and is either aimed at a huge move or a rebuild. If he can get anything for Camby, it’s a win. This is possible, if unlikely.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1