Jul 7, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The rich could get even richer.
Yahoo Sports reports that Marcus Camby will still visit the Miami Heat on Saturday. How on Earth, with the money the Heat have committed, could they possible add Marcus Camby and his more-than-vet-minimum salary? Easy. Same way the Lakers snagged Steve Nash. You construct a sign-and-trade with Houston who owns Camby’s Bird Rights as a free agent. From Chris Tommasson of Fox Sports:
After a source said earlier in evening Houston would be open to a possible Marcus Camby sign-and-trade, a source said Camby will keep his visit with the Heat on Saturday in Miami. He is not interested in coming to Miami for the $1.35 million veteran minimum, which is all they have left due to Ray Allen getting the $3.09 million exception. As I was tweeting right when news broke about Allen coming to Miami, could Shane Battier, a draft pick and cash entice the Rockets for Camby?
You have to think this is excessive. I mean, really. The defending NBA champions which features LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Udonis Haslem, and Shane Battier adds Ray Allen and Marcus Camby? Even at Camby’s age, he fits perfectly on the Heat. He’s the center they’ve been shopping for, a legitimately tall, long center who has veteran experience and can still challenge at the rim. Camby’s somewhere in-between Joel Anthony and Zydrunas Ilguaskas in terms of skillset and age. He would add another layer to what the Heat bring to the table and make them that much tougher.
All within the rules of the new CBA that was supposed to hurt super teams.
Camby’s not going to be any sort of game-changer for Miami, but it does make them stronger. And you can ask the Celtics and Thunder. They don’t need to get any stronger. Scary times for the rest of the league, if Riley pulls this off.
What can the Heat offer the Rockets? Does it matter at this point? Morey’s up to something that’s long, involved, and is either aimed at a huge move or a rebuild. If he can get anything for Camby, it’s a win. This is possible, if unlikely.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 0
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89