Jul 7, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
The question is “how much?”
Regardless of how much the deal is worth, the Celtics have reached an agreement on a deal with Jeff Green via Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. The deal is very likely to be a four-year deal, and there are reports of the range being close to $40 million. The Celtics cannot officially sign Green until July 11th per the NBA’s moratorium rules.
The way this deal will be judged up front is the money. If it’s four-years, $30-$35 million-ish, OK, sure, why not. He does have some potential. But if the Celtics gave a four-year, $40 million deal with an average in eight figures for a power forward who doesn’t rebound and has never shot the lights out, that’s going to be of concern. His heart condition should not factor in, as there’s every indication he’ll make a complete recovery. But the real factor here is his production.
The other part is the guaranteed money. If it’s three-years, $30 with a team option or non-guaranteed fourth year for $10 million, that’s probably the middle ground. There’s still going to be doubt about this deal. Don’t be confused. The book is still very much out on Jeff Green. But if he can live up to his potential, he can be the kind of athletic perimeter player the Celtics need, especially against the Heat in the playoffs.
The question is still, “how much?” We’ll let you know when reports indicate.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50