Jul 6, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
Salt. Take this with salt.
The source says the Lakers have informed one player that he might be part of the package deal and that he could be traded at any moment.
You can guess all you want who it is, I think one of the bigs or Metta World Peace makes sense.
Two thoughts here.
First, the question really hasn’t been would the Lakers pull the trigger on a Howard deal, the questions were: 1) How healthy is his back following surgery (although over his career Howard has been healthier than Bynum)? 2) Will he sign an extension or agree to re-sign with the Lakers after this season? The Lakers are not in this for a rental.
All of which is to say, unless Howard has changed his mind it’s hard to see this deal going forward.
Second, giving a player a heads-up that he could be moved and have to take his live and family across the country is not uncommon. It’s usually done through an agent, manager or some other channel, just a heads up that it could be coming. If the Lakers did that with a name player it would not be a shock.
I still don’t see the Lakers as the most likely landing spot for Howard. But this is out there.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11