Jul 6, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
Salt. Take this with salt.
The source says the Lakers have informed one player that he might be part of the package deal and that he could be traded at any moment.
You can guess all you want who it is, I think one of the bigs or Metta World Peace makes sense.
Two thoughts here.
First, the question really hasn’t been would the Lakers pull the trigger on a Howard deal, the questions were: 1) How healthy is his back following surgery (although over his career Howard has been healthier than Bynum)? 2) Will he sign an extension or agree to re-sign with the Lakers after this season? The Lakers are not in this for a rental.
All of which is to say, unless Howard has changed his mind it’s hard to see this deal going forward.
Second, giving a player a heads-up that he could be moved and have to take his live and family across the country is not uncommon. It’s usually done through an agent, manager or some other channel, just a heads up that it could be coming. If the Lakers did that with a name player it would not be a shock.
I still don’t see the Lakers as the most likely landing spot for Howard. But this is out there.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 75
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 22
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13