Jul 6, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
Salt. Take this with salt.
The source says the Lakers have informed one player that he might be part of the package deal and that he could be traded at any moment.
You can guess all you want who it is, I think one of the bigs or Metta World Peace makes sense.
Two thoughts here.
First, the question really hasn’t been would the Lakers pull the trigger on a Howard deal, the questions were: 1) How healthy is his back following surgery (although over his career Howard has been healthier than Bynum)? 2) Will he sign an extension or agree to re-sign with the Lakers after this season? The Lakers are not in this for a rental.
All of which is to say, unless Howard has changed his mind it’s hard to see this deal going forward.
Second, giving a player a heads-up that he could be moved and have to take his live and family across the country is not uncommon. It’s usually done through an agent, manager or some other channel, just a heads up that it could be coming. If the Lakers did that with a name player it would not be a shock.
I still don’t see the Lakers as the most likely landing spot for Howard. But this is out there.
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 0
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 42
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 64
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26