Jul 6, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
Salt. Take this with salt.
The source says the Lakers have informed one player that he might be part of the package deal and that he could be traded at any moment.
You can guess all you want who it is, I think one of the bigs or Metta World Peace makes sense.
Two thoughts here.
First, the question really hasn’t been would the Lakers pull the trigger on a Howard deal, the questions were: 1) How healthy is his back following surgery (although over his career Howard has been healthier than Bynum)? 2) Will he sign an extension or agree to re-sign with the Lakers after this season? The Lakers are not in this for a rental.
All of which is to say, unless Howard has changed his mind it’s hard to see this deal going forward.
Second, giving a player a heads-up that he could be moved and have to take his live and family across the country is not uncommon. It’s usually done through an agent, manager or some other channel, just a heads up that it could be coming. If the Lakers did that with a name player it would not be a shock.
I still don’t see the Lakers as the most likely landing spot for Howard. But this is out there.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31