Jul 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
And he left without agreeing to a deal.
That’s a good sign for the Celtics, but Brian Windhorst of ESPN reports that Allen remains undecided.
Allen had an afternoon meeting with Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra and then went to dinner with them and other members of the team’s front office. The Heat offered Allen their mid-level exception, which starts at $3.09 million per season– or half of the Celtics’ offer of $6 million per year over two years…
The Celtics, sources said, have their own plan for incorporating Allen into a different role that includes playing him alongside Jason Terry, who committed to sign with the Celtics earlier this week. The Boston Herald reported that Boston also has offered to include a no-trade clause in Allen’s contract, something the Heat cannot offer.
Boston offers more money. While they will be good, Miami remains the more direct route to another championship ring (ask the Thunder about Game 5 and what it is like when the Heat hit their threes). Then there is the issue of playing time and roll — he will likely come off the bench in both places, but where would he get the most run and where would he feel most comfortable in the system.
It is also reported that the Grizzlies and Timberwolves have reached out to Allen and are dark horse candidates. But nobody around the league expects them to win this race.
It really comes down to what Allen’s priorities are. It’s what he wants.
And right now, even he may not fully have the answer to that question.
So the Heat, Celtics and the rest of us all wait for him to figure it out.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)