Report: Ray Allen struggling to decide between Boston, Miami

Jul 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EST

Ray Allen AP

Ray Allen was in Miami Thursday, met with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra, plus got tweets from LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

And he left without agreeing to a deal.

That’s a good sign for the Celtics, but Brian Windhorst of ESPN reports that Allen remains undecided.

Allen had an afternoon meeting with Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra and then went to dinner with them and other members of the team’s front office. The Heat offered Allen their mid-level exception, which starts at $3.09 million per season– or half of the Celtics’ offer of $6 million per year over two years…

The Celtics, sources said, have their own plan for incorporating Allen into a different role that includes playing him alongside Jason Terry, who committed to sign with the Celtics earlier this week. The Boston Herald reported that Boston also has offered to include a no-trade clause in Allen’s contract, something the Heat cannot offer.

Boston offers more money. While they will be good, Miami remains the more direct route to another championship ring (ask the Thunder about Game 5 and what it is like when the Heat hit their threes). Then there is the issue of playing time and roll — he will likely come off the bench in both places, but where would he get the most run and where would he feel most comfortable in the system.

It is also reported that the Grizzlies and Timberwolves have reached out to Allen and are dark horse candidates. But nobody around the league expects them to win this race.

It really comes down to what Allen’s priorities are. It’s what he wants.

And right now, even he may not fully have the answer to that question.

So the Heat, Celtics and the rest of us all wait for him to figure it out.

1. reupjosh - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Ray. If by some chance you find yourself reading my lame comments on this lame blog… DON’T DO IT! DON’T BE A COAT-TAILER! The Heat already have enough bandwagon fans, no need to have bandwagon players. Stay with the Celtics.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

But if he stays in Boston, won’t he be riding the coat-tails of Rondo/ KG/ PP/ Bradley/ Bass/ Green/ Terry….you know, the guys that will actually be playing instead and ahead of him?

• soflasfinest - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Why so desperate bro? The heat will be fine with or without ray. I’m hoping we get him but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I agree. I’m just busting that guys balls. Boston fans are easy to get riled up.

I started off thinking Ray would be a bad fit for Miami. Then as time went on I started to get excited about his being in Miami. Who wouldn’t want Ray Allen on their team? But if he’s conflicted, I say goodbye. You’re either all in or you’re all out.

I have nothing but the highest respect for Ray, but if I’m Pat Riley, I’m not standing for any of this “Call Me Maybe” BS. That’s what Stephen Ross does. Riley doesn’t.

• finsfan71 - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yes Ray, don’t come down and play for the bandwagon fans. Or become a bandwagon player. Or hop on the parade bandwagon after another championship. Or become a bandwagon resident of a bandwagon city near a bandwagon arena.

Please do stay up north where the average IQ is so far below zero, winter snow storms are a welcome relief. Please Ray, the sports misfits in Boston would be crushed.

• mornelithe - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Interesting theory, unfortunately actual data doesn’t substantiate that claim. According to the most recent State by State IQ analysis average IQ per state lists Massachusetts number 1 in the nation at 104.3, and Florida at 39th at 98.4.

So, go ahead and sling insults, but bringing actual intelligence into the discussion is only going to bury you.

• reupjosh - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I love how riled up Heat fans get over my comments… I’m speaking as a 3rd party, I don’t care about either team at all. I just don’t like seeing great players ruin legacies by chasing a ring. Besides, it’s not a given that the Heat will repeat… just ask your homies Karl Malone and Chuck Barkley.

• ccshocktalk - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

If I were you, finsfan, I wouldn’t bring IQ into this conversation; 5 out of the top 10 colleges in the world are in the north east United States. Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia and UPenn. Florida’s education is so bad it isn’t even funny. FCAT scores dropped by almost half when they grades the students for their grammar in the writing portions of their tests. So please, do me a favor and get your shit straight.
        Second, Miami is a bandwagon town in every aspect; it’s not slander it’s just the truth. I’d be willing to bet most people in Miami aren’t even from Florida let alone Miami. The Fins suck so nobody goes to their games, the Marlins are nothing special and even when they play great nobody cares. It’s not just Miami though, even when the Rays went to the WS nobody cared. The Jaguars can’t even get the hometown hero Tim Tebow to come play for them. Florida, Miami included is just a bad sports market for the home teams.
        Most people probably don’t even know the Lightning won the Stanley cup just a few years ago.

Next time you want debate IQ’s, do it with something more on par with yours…maybe a rock or something like that.

• blue18hutthutt - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM

LOL you’re seriously comparing the average IQ of people from New England to Florida?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Don’t ever forget there are two Floridas: the south and the north. A native explained it to me once: the northerners are mostly natives while the southerners are former northerner from the east.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Northerner = northerners

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Right, because Boston fans are so much more hard core

The pats didn’t have any fans until 2001, the garden was empty for years when Dino Radja was the best Celtic, and it was empty for years before the bruins won the cup

The red sox are a bit of a different story but their sellout streak is a bad corporate joke and then don’t get me started on the pink hatters who sing sweet Caroline each and every night

Boston’s fans are just like sports fans from other cities except they have had more time to build their fan base and there is less to do in places like Massachusetts in comparison with Florida and Cali

Signed,
      A Massachusetts resident since 1989 which is actually after I became a fan of the Heat

2012 world champs, Go Heat!

2. markcsii - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Then there is the issue of playing time and roll

Roll?

You’re a professional blogger man. C’mon

• addictedzone - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Hey, cut him a break. That’s how he rolls.

• wphood - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Nah…I think that’s how he “roles”.

• saint1997 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

roles* :)

3. taron2in1 - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Can Ray count?

4. bucrightoff - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I think if he was ringless this would be an easy choice. But because he doesn’t need a ring, I think he may ultimately decide its better to not have KG wanting to kill you.

• finsfan71 - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ultimately that will probably be his decision. He doesn’t need a ring, will make more money, but if he does leave he’ll incur the wrath of Boston.

That fahkin traitah, I swear to Gahd Ima key his cah.

5. passerby23 - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

“While they will be good, Miami remains the more direct route to another championship ring.”

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. Boston would be essentially bringing back the same team plus the additions of Green and Terry, and a healthy Avery Bradley. There’s still a chance Pietrus comes back as well and their draft picks might be able to contribute some right away. I don’t see how Boston would not be significantly upgraded.

Miami is not a team of spring chickens either. Battier will be a year older, Miller’s Miami career has been crippled by injuries, Jones is aging and contemplating retirement. If they add Camby or Rashard Lewis, things can change.

I think if Allen re-signs with Boston, these teams are basically even. If he signs with Miami, that is a major advantage for the Heat.

6. rexgrossman8 - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

More money?
    Deeper team?
    A few injuries (O’neal, Green, etc.) away from making the finals?

No brainer. Stay home and ride off into the sunset as a C with those that helped make them relevant.

Teams that live and die by jumpers do not a dynasty make.

• truthhurtstoo - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM

One thing missing on the list is the deep delusional fan base in Bastan. oops, Boston.
      The HEAT have rolled them for two years and next will make it three.

Ray would love to stand in the corner and hit 3ies all day ala Mike Miller. The ole’ creakers can’t drive to the rim like Miami

• passerby23 - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Last year they had an injured Rondo. This year, even with injuries, pushed the Heat to 7 (let’s not forget how many people said the series was over after Game 5).

You’re telling me a second unit of Allen, Terry, Green, Pietrus (if he comes back), and Sullinger/Melo/Steimsma, does not make Boston significantly better than the last two years?

If Allen comes back to Boston, I actually think they are the better team.

7. cjthedj06 - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM

“Once it got down to the end, I think his ego kicked back in,” Ray Allen said. (on David West Signing with the Pacers) “He wanted the dollars. I guess it comes down to ‘What is a championship worth to you?'”

8. mogogo1 - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Really shows how tight things are with the payroll in Miami. He’d be perfect for them, yet they’re left hoping a couple tweets from Wade and LeBron will make up for the extra $3 million per year the Celtics are offering. Tough to leave that much money on the table, especially when he already has a ring.

• mannyfresh209 - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

of course things are tight… they have 3 guys at what are virtually max contracts and another in mike miller that makes like 9M a year.

that being said, celtics are DOUBLING the offer that miami is giving to allen… yet allen is torn between the two possibilities. that should tell you enough right there…

• jimeejohnson - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Keen, manny, keen!

9. kwf1224 - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I think he should stay with the Celtics.

10. myownwerstenmy - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

This is simple. If he wants to be known as a douche bag at the end of his career go be with the cHeat. Wanna leave a good memory in real NBA fans memories stick it out with the Celtics and do your damnest to win another title.

• finsfan71 - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Oh golly Ray, I don’t think real NBA fans could take it if you played for the cHeat. I think pound for pound most real NBA fans are simple minded.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Not like those brainy football fans.

11. Justin - Jul 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Reports have also emerged that the Wolves are making a run at him. Interest seems to be lukewarm on both sides at this point but sometimes the dark-horse candidate lands them when you least expect it.

12. j0esixpack - Jul 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I don’t think the Celtics, who took the Heat to 7 games even with so many questionable calls by the officials, need to ask any advice of OKC, who were lucky to stretch their series with the Heat to 5 games.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Sam Adams says “hi”!

13. redblue560 - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

There is really something in Boston that makes him have second thoughts coming back….
    3 million more than the competing offer
    Familiarity with the system and the people he worked and played with for the last 5 years
    Chance to work again with a respected coach who knows and respects you as a person and player
    City has one of the best facility to get juvenile diabetes treatment
    One of the best team to have a legacy when you leave the sport
    A basketball crazy town where everybody knows your name
    Both teams have the same chance of winning a championship
    Playing time and roles are almost the same

What is it that the Boston Celtics have that makes it hard to close the deal ?
    (I think I know – Danny Ainge pissed him off for even thinking of trading him)

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

He’s going to sign with Boston. If he wanted to sign with Miami, he would have signed with Miami.

And if I’m Pat Riley, and I put on the full court press for Ray Allen, and Ray Allen tells me he has to think about it because he’s “conflicted”…..I’m saying Ray, you don’t have to think about it anymore. You’re in or you’re out, and “Conflicted” equals Out.

Could have been fun. Oh well

• addictedzone - Jul 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

How was that Breakfast

14. lakerluver - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Dude, screw the Heat, stay with Boston. A healthy C’s squad (or better officiating) would’ve beaten Miami.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches