Jul 6, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Well Doug Collins, now you have an unrepentant gunner on your roster.
Nick Young has reached an agreement to become a Philadelphia 76er, his agent Mark Bartelstein told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo sports (and since confirmed my multiple other sources). It is a one-year, $6 million deal. Which frankly is a bit more than I would pay.
Young likely steps into the Lou Williams role in Philly as a gunner off the bench. He will gun. He’s a good spot-up shooter who likes to try to put the ball on the floor too often. Young is not nearly as efficient a scorer as Williams.
And Williams is out, tweeting Friday that the Sixers organization chose to move in another direction and telling Philly fans he will not be back.
Young spent his first four and a half NBA seasons with the Wizards, then was traded to the Clippers. He put up a lot of points for the Wizards, 17.4 points per game in 2011, 16.6 before he was traded last season, but Young was doing that with volume. He’s never been terribly efficient, with a career 42.9 percent shooting. He never quite got comfortable working next to Chris Paul with the Clippers and shot 39.4 percent from there. His biggest contribution to the Clippers playoff run was that shirt he wore, the one CP3 found so amusing he invited Young to the press conference.
Young moves into a two-guard rotation in Philadelphia with Evan Turner, two guys with very different styles. How Young’s style fits with the old-school Doug Collins could be interesting.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'