Jul 6, 2012, 11:17 AM EST
Well Doug Collins, now you have an unrepentant gunner on your roster.
Nick Young has reached an agreement to become a Philadelphia 76er, his agent Mark Bartelstein told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo sports (and since confirmed my multiple other sources). It is a one-year, $6 million deal. Which frankly is a bit more than I would pay.
Young likely steps into the Lou Williams role in Philly as a gunner off the bench. He will gun. He’s a good spot-up shooter who likes to try to put the ball on the floor too often. Young is not nearly as efficient a scorer as Williams.
And Williams is out, tweeting Friday that the Sixers organization chose to move in another direction and telling Philly fans he will not be back.
Young spent his first four and a half NBA seasons with the Wizards, then was traded to the Clippers. He put up a lot of points for the Wizards, 17.4 points per game in 2011, 16.6 before he was traded last season, but Young was doing that with volume. He’s never been terribly efficient, with a career 42.9 percent shooting. He never quite got comfortable working next to Chris Paul with the Clippers and shot 39.4 percent from there. His biggest contribution to the Clippers playoff run was that shirt he wore, the one CP3 found so amusing he invited Young to the press conference.
Young moves into a two-guard rotation in Philadelphia with Evan Turner, two guys with very different styles. How Young’s style fits with the old-school Doug Collins could be interesting.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 0
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 2
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)