Jul 6, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Well Doug Collins, now you have an unrepentant gunner on your roster.
Nick Young has reached an agreement to become a Philadelphia 76er, his agent Mark Bartelstein told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo sports (and since confirmed my multiple other sources). It is a one-year, $6 million deal. Which frankly is a bit more than I would pay.
Young likely steps into the Lou Williams role in Philly as a gunner off the bench. He will gun. He’s a good spot-up shooter who likes to try to put the ball on the floor too often. Young is not nearly as efficient a scorer as Williams.
And Williams is out, tweeting Friday that the Sixers organization chose to move in another direction and telling Philly fans he will not be back.
Young spent his first four and a half NBA seasons with the Wizards, then was traded to the Clippers. He put up a lot of points for the Wizards, 17.4 points per game in 2011, 16.6 before he was traded last season, but Young was doing that with volume. He’s never been terribly efficient, with a career 42.9 percent shooting. He never quite got comfortable working next to Chris Paul with the Clippers and shot 39.4 percent from there. His biggest contribution to the Clippers playoff run was that shirt he wore, the one CP3 found so amusing he invited Young to the press conference.
Young moves into a two-guard rotation in Philadelphia with Evan Turner, two guys with very different styles. How Young’s style fits with the old-school Doug Collins could be interesting.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 0
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 6
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21