Jul 6, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Well Doug Collins, now you have an unrepentant gunner on your roster.
Nick Young has reached an agreement to become a Philadelphia 76er, his agent Mark Bartelstein told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo sports (and since confirmed my multiple other sources). It is a one-year, $6 million deal. Which frankly is a bit more than I would pay.
Young likely steps into the Lou Williams role in Philly as a gunner off the bench. He will gun. He’s a good spot-up shooter who likes to try to put the ball on the floor too often. Young is not nearly as efficient a scorer as Williams.
And Williams is out, tweeting Friday that the Sixers organization chose to move in another direction and telling Philly fans he will not be back.
Young spent his first four and a half NBA seasons with the Wizards, then was traded to the Clippers. He put up a lot of points for the Wizards, 17.4 points per game in 2011, 16.6 before he was traded last season, but Young was doing that with volume. He’s never been terribly efficient, with a career 42.9 percent shooting. He never quite got comfortable working next to Chris Paul with the Clippers and shot 39.4 percent from there. His biggest contribution to the Clippers playoff run was that shirt he wore, the one CP3 found so amusing he invited Young to the press conference.
Young moves into a two-guard rotation in Philadelphia with Evan Turner, two guys with very different styles. How Young’s style fits with the old-school Doug Collins could be interesting.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 7
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 12