Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT
The group stage is over. Now things get serious.
The last chance Olympic Qualifying Tournament is down to the final eight teams and the knockout tournament stage. Jordan, Venezuela, Korea and New Zealand are done.
Eight teams remain, three spots in the Olympics are up for grabs, and it’s a single elimination tournament to get them. Lose on Friday and you don’t go to London. Win Friday and you have to win one of your next two games to get in to the big dance.
The four Games Friday are: Russia vs. Angola (Russia is a huge favorite); Greece vs. Nigeria; Macedonia vs. Dominican Republic (DR is coached by John Calipari and stars Al Horford); Lithuania vs. Puerto Rico.
The four winners Friday face off in the semi-finals Saturday — win and your card is punched for London. The two losers Saturday play Sunday with the winner going to the Olympics and he loser being out.
This tournament determines the final three teams of the 12 in the Olympic basketball tournament (for men). The United States already qualified for London by winning the 2010 FIBA World Championships. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13