Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT
The group stage is over. Now things get serious.
The last chance Olympic Qualifying Tournament is down to the final eight teams and the knockout tournament stage. Jordan, Venezuela, Korea and New Zealand are done.
Eight teams remain, three spots in the Olympics are up for grabs, and it’s a single elimination tournament to get them. Lose on Friday and you don’t go to London. Win Friday and you have to win one of your next two games to get in to the big dance.
The four Games Friday are: Russia vs. Angola (Russia is a huge favorite); Greece vs. Nigeria; Macedonia vs. Dominican Republic (DR is coached by John Calipari and stars Al Horford); Lithuania vs. Puerto Rico.
The four winners Friday face off in the semi-finals Saturday — win and your card is punched for London. The two losers Saturday play Sunday with the winner going to the Olympics and he loser being out.
This tournament determines the final three teams of the 12 in the Olympic basketball tournament (for men). The United States already qualified for London by winning the 2010 FIBA World Championships. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7