Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT
The group stage is over. Now things get serious.
The last chance Olympic Qualifying Tournament is down to the final eight teams and the knockout tournament stage. Jordan, Venezuela, Korea and New Zealand are done.
Eight teams remain, three spots in the Olympics are up for grabs, and it’s a single elimination tournament to get them. Lose on Friday and you don’t go to London. Win Friday and you have to win one of your next two games to get in to the big dance.
The four Games Friday are: Russia vs. Angola (Russia is a huge favorite); Greece vs. Nigeria; Macedonia vs. Dominican Republic (DR is coached by John Calipari and stars Al Horford); Lithuania vs. Puerto Rico.
The four winners Friday face off in the semi-finals Saturday — win and your card is punched for London. The two losers Saturday play Sunday with the winner going to the Olympics and he loser being out.
This tournament determines the final three teams of the 12 in the Olympic basketball tournament (for men). The United States already qualified for London by winning the 2010 FIBA World Championships. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 77
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 45
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19