Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 AM EDT
The group stage is over. Now things get serious.
The last chance Olympic Qualifying Tournament is down to the final eight teams and the knockout tournament stage. Jordan, Venezuela, Korea and New Zealand are done.
Eight teams remain, three spots in the Olympics are up for grabs, and it’s a single elimination tournament to get them. Lose on Friday and you don’t go to London. Win Friday and you have to win one of your next two games to get in to the big dance.
The four Games Friday are: Russia vs. Angola (Russia is a huge favorite); Greece vs. Nigeria; Macedonia vs. Dominican Republic (DR is coached by John Calipari and stars Al Horford); Lithuania vs. Puerto Rico.
The four winners Friday face off in the semi-finals Saturday — win and your card is punched for London. The two losers Saturday play Sunday with the winner going to the Olympics and he loser being out.
This tournament determines the final three teams of the 12 in the Olympic basketball tournament (for men). The United States already qualified for London by winning the 2010 FIBA World Championships. Thank you Kevin Durant.
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 3
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 11
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32