Jul 6, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
It’s not the end of the world for the Mavericks that this summer hasn’t gone according to plan. Not in the least.
But that is not going to make this coming season any prettier. Jason Terry joins the long list of departed from the Dallas title team. The Mavericks are now chasing guys not on their radar a week ago, such as Ramon Sessions. And maybe soon-to-be-amnestied Sixer Elton Brand. Neither of those are bad pickups, but they are not what Mavericks fans (or management) pictured heading into this season, either.
The Dallas interest in Sessions was reported by ESPN and the two sides are supposed to be talking Friday.
A source close to the situation said the Mavs initially contacted Sessions’ representatives prior to Kidd opting to pass on a three-year, $9 million offer from Dallas and instead agreeing to a similar deal to join the New York Knicks.
After Kidd reached his decision to move on, the Mavs again reached out to Sessions, the 26-year-old point guard that was traded from Cleveland to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season. Sessions, the source said, is seeking a starting job and security.
While Lakers fans killed him for a playoffs where he looked a little overwhelmed (it was his first playoffs ever), Sessions played well for the Lakers in the regular season. He’s an aggressive guard in the pick-and-roll who can get into the paint, disrupt defenses and find the open man. With Dallas needing to generate offense other than Dirk Nowitzki, Sessions is a good fit.
Brand could be a solid big added to the roster, at the right price. ESPN’s Marc Stein tweeted this:
Mavericks, sources say, are one under-the-cap team to already express interest in claiming Elton Brand through amnesty waiver process
Once Brand is amnestied by the Sixers (which can’t happen before July 11) he goes on waivers where teams below the salary cap can bid on a portion of his $18 million salary. For example, if the Mavs bid $4 million and that was the highest bid they would get his services and pay the $4 million salary (the rest of the $18 million comes from the Sixers, Brand still gets his full contract).
Brand is not the All-Star he was with the Clippers, but he is a solid big who for a year could give the Mavs quality minutes. Then he comes off the books next summer and Dallas can make a run at other stars.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23