Jul 6, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
It’s not the end of the world for the Mavericks that this summer hasn’t gone according to plan. Not in the least.
But that is not going to make this coming season any prettier. Jason Terry joins the long list of departed from the Dallas title team. The Mavericks are now chasing guys not on their radar a week ago, such as Ramon Sessions. And maybe soon-to-be-amnestied Sixer Elton Brand. Neither of those are bad pickups, but they are not what Mavericks fans (or management) pictured heading into this season, either.
The Dallas interest in Sessions was reported by ESPN and the two sides are supposed to be talking Friday.
A source close to the situation said the Mavs initially contacted Sessions’ representatives prior to Kidd opting to pass on a three-year, $9 million offer from Dallas and instead agreeing to a similar deal to join the New York Knicks.
After Kidd reached his decision to move on, the Mavs again reached out to Sessions, the 26-year-old point guard that was traded from Cleveland to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season. Sessions, the source said, is seeking a starting job and security.
While Lakers fans killed him for a playoffs where he looked a little overwhelmed (it was his first playoffs ever), Sessions played well for the Lakers in the regular season. He’s an aggressive guard in the pick-and-roll who can get into the paint, disrupt defenses and find the open man. With Dallas needing to generate offense other than Dirk Nowitzki, Sessions is a good fit.
Brand could be a solid big added to the roster, at the right price. ESPN’s Marc Stein tweeted this:
Mavericks, sources say, are one under-the-cap team to already express interest in claiming Elton Brand through amnesty waiver process
Once Brand is amnestied by the Sixers (which can’t happen before July 11) he goes on waivers where teams below the salary cap can bid on a portion of his $18 million salary. For example, if the Mavs bid $4 million and that was the highest bid they would get his services and pay the $4 million salary (the rest of the $18 million comes from the Sixers, Brand still gets his full contract).
Brand is not the All-Star he was with the Clippers, but he is a solid big who for a year could give the Mavs quality minutes. Then he comes off the books next summer and Dallas can make a run at other stars.
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 1
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 6
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 30
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10