Jul 6, 2012, 8:40 AM EST
When you think Hasheem Thabeet, you think bust. Harsh, but let’s be honest. He’s the former No. 2 overall pick of the Grizzlies (taken in front of James Harden, Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry) who has struggled the last two seasons to get on the court for some pretty unimpressive teams (Houston, Portland late in this past season).
But he’s getting another chance, a one-year deal in a place a lot of established NBA players want to be — Oklahoma City. Why? Because he’s 7’3”. Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports broke the story.
This is actually a good move for the Thunder. The got him for a minimum deal and they don’t need him — he is on the bench behind Kendrick Perkins, Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison. If he doesn’t improve and take a step forward, he never gets off the bench.
But if he does — if he can be a good defensive stopper in the paint and grab some boards, if he can score just a little — than the Thunder have a steal. This guy has potential, he didn’t go No. 2 overall because the Grizzlies ate the special brownies in the draft green room, there were a lot of teams interested in him because of what he could develop into. Some guys develop late. That is what the Thunder are hoping for.
Thabeet can’t sign until July 11.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 14
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)