Jul 6, 2012, 9:03 AM EDT
Eric Gordon wants to play his basketball in Phoenix next year and made that clear again Thursday.
Tough…um, cookies. He will be a Hornet next season playing in New Orleans. His wishes are irrelevant — he is a restricted free agent and New Orleans has said it will match any offer he gets.
And that will be a max offer — four years (player option on the final yar), $58 million — from the Suns.
But this wasn’t just about the money for Gordon, who is in Las Vegas for USA Basketball camp as he tries to make the Olympic team. He told ESPN that he wants to stay with the Suns.
“Phoenix just showed a lot more interest, overall, and definitely in how they negotiated,” Gordon said. “I don’t know what New Orleans’ plans are for me. There are no negotiations right now…
“They drafted another shooting guard (Austin Rivers), a combo guard like me, which tells me they have another plan,” Gordon said.
No, drafting Rivers means only that they thought h was the best player on the board at No. 10. As for not showing more interest, they let you do all the leg work then they sit around and just match it.
Gordon says if the Hornets keep him he will leave after three years ala Chris Paul. Which is fine to say but a lot can change in three years. With Gordon and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis (and Rivers), the Hornets are building something. He is part of their core. In three years, the Hornets could be a prime destination.
Gordon will be a Hornet next season is all that matters. It doesn’t matter what he wants.
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 8
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 50
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 58
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 29
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 19
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 54
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 3