Eric Gordon says he wants to be a Sun. Hornets don’t care, will match offer.

Jul 6, 2012, 9:03 AM EST

New Orleans Hornets v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Eric Gordon wants to play his basketball in Phoenix next year and made that clear again Thursday.

Tough…um, cookies. He will be a Hornet next season playing in New Orleans. His wishes are irrelevant — he is a restricted free agent and New Orleans has said it will match any offer he gets.

And that will be a max offer — four years (player option on the final yar), $58 million — from the Suns.

But this wasn’t just about the money for Gordon, who is in Las Vegas for USA Basketball camp as he tries to make the Olympic team. He told ESPN that he wants to stay with the Suns.

“Phoenix just showed a lot more interest, overall, and definitely in how they negotiated,” Gordon said. “I don’t know what New Orleans’ plans are for me. There are no negotiations right now…

“They drafted another shooting guard (Austin Rivers), a combo guard like me, which tells me they have another plan,” Gordon said.

No, drafting Rivers means only that they thought h was the best player on the board at No. 10. As for not showing more interest, they let you do all the leg work then they sit around and just match it.

Gordon says if the Hornets keep him he will leave after three years ala Chris Paul. Which is fine to say but a lot can change in three years. With Gordon and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis (and Rivers), the Hornets are building something. He is part of their core. In three years, the Hornets could be a prime destination.

Gordon will be a Hornet next season is all that matters. It doesn’t matter what he wants.

1. reesesteel23 - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Damn lol

2. ccshocktalk - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

First of all, this sucks for Gordon. Second of all, thank God he is going all Dwight Howard on us and saying the Hornets blackmailed him. Third, I wish these guys would realize they are being paid major money to play a game. It would be amazing if they would just pay these guys between $100,000.00-$500,000.00 a year and let them live a life somewhat closer to the fan base that loves them and their team…they should be happy to be pulling in $58,000,000.00 in one contract…I’m sure he’ll see a few more of those in his career…

3. rocketsbb - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

It’s sad to also see refs Gets 6 digit salaries along with those towelboys and such getting 60,000$. Gordon can sign wherever the hell he wants and he shouldn’t make a big deal about it. Both franchises are growing but new Orleans will probably be the better team in 3 years.

• educatedfools - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Towel boys do not get 60,000. I used to work in the industry on the business side, but I had to get out because even as I moved up the ladder in sales I could barely crack 50,000.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Restricted is restricted, but bringing back a disgruntled player because of semantics is not smart.

4. lakerluver - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I know Phoenix is lovely but Dude you get to play with A. Davis for the next decade!! Just stfu already!!!!!

5. jesweeney11 - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

First amendment rights should not apply to those in sports. You just say STUPID things. Obviously you have no idea of the process and what more does New Orleans have to do to prove to you they want you? THEY TRADED FOR YOU. You should just say I want to play in Phoenix as I don’t like humidity and the girls are better looking here. That we would get.

Dang, dude haven’t you read the papers and learned not what to do ALA lil’ Dwighty Howard.

6. saintsfan83 - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

A slap in the face to us hornets fan , the dude wants to go to the desert let him go , we can develop our rookies together on the court jack a do just find with Rivers we don’t need anymore crybabies down here we already hav to many on the Saints

7. gmsalpha - Jul 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hornets will be a really strong team in no time. It’s not wise to say three years out that you already know your next move. That’s just dumb.

If his reasoning was that he doesn’t like the muggy Cajun country, fine. If he likes the AZ lifestyle and girls better, fine. But I agree, just be a tem player, work hard, and stfu. If you want to bail when you’re an unrestricted FA, go for it. But you’re going to be a Hornet. Might as well make the best of it.

8. themohel - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If this dope was so dead set against playing for New Orleans, why the hell did he sign a 4-year offer sheet? Now when it is matched he has a 4-year deal in New Orleans! Sign a one-year offer sheet and then get out next year.

• dacapt704 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thats not quite how it works when ur a restricted FA. I think that if he has expressed disinterest in playing for NO why force him to stay? I never understood that…esp since you know PHX wants him, make a trade and improve your team by getting back assets in return. But that makes too much sense for NBA GMs..I get it

9. phx1311 - Jul 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

as a suns fan im still drying my tears from the nash trade but this makes me feel a little better.

• ryc30078 - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Phx1311, Stop dreaming Hornets are matching the offers. I laugh when people take Restricted free agents rhetoric seriously. Eric Gordon would have said the same thing if indiana or houston offered him that contract. The suns were dumb enough to do the hornets work for them, but what else would you expect from that idiot Robert Sarver. The hornets won’t sign and trade him for that garbage PHX is offering Josh Childress, Markeif Morris, etc.. no thx. Gordon will suck it up and be a professional and be part of something special in NO.

• willsolo - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

You are still going to have a horrible team… No question about it.

10. 49erminer4life - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Sign him back then Trade him for a kings ransom problen solved. Hes gonna be considered a vet & leader on such a young team. Not the way U wanna start a rebuild. Rivers is not passing the rock now

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches