Jul 6, 2012, 7:08 PM EDT
Eric Gordon really doesn’t like not having a choice where he plays next season. He clearly wants to be wanted and we should all admit the Hornets didn’t really handle that well (Gordon says neither GM Dell Demps nor coach Monty Williams have reached out to him since free agency started).
But Eric — stop pissing off the fans of where you will play next year.
Phoenix has offered Gordon a max deal (four years, $58 million, with the final year a players’ option) and that’s where he wants to be. But the Hornets have said since Day 1 that they would match any offer for Gordon. Including a max. They see Gordon at the two and Anthony Davis at the five as cornerstones of a future contender (and they may well be right). Gordon will be a Hornet, but keeps singing the praises of the Suns.
Gordon is in Las Vegas for USA Basketball’s Olympic tryout camp and spoke to the media. Here are some highlight quotes (with my comments after), all via Joe Gerrity of Hornets247.com.
• On if the Hornets match and he’s forced to remain in New Orleans– “I gotta play basketball”
• On what impact his statements will have on the fans if Hornets match– “Fans will be fans. They gotta understand what’s really going on. As of right now it’s all.. I’m just concentrating on USA basketball.”
Don’t disrespect the intelligence of the fans. They get this is a business for you, but like you they also want to be respected. They are powerless on who comes and goes from their teams. What they want from you is effort and a sense of loyalty, of commitment to them on some level like you are asking from them and the organization. You can leave in a few years, they have to root for the jersey. They relate to management because it is not as transient as the players who come and go. You don’t have to stay to get them to love you, but you have to get them to believe you would stay for them. In the past week you have done none of that.
• On if he felt slighted when Austin Rivers was drafted– “if you look at it, we have no center, we have hardly no bigs, you never know. I’m at a point where I went to Phoenix, I talked to their organization and next think you know they signed the players”
Gordon can’t be so insecure as to think Rivers is threatening his job. And he must have noticed the first draft pick made was a franchise-anchor center, a shot blocking big, right? He’d be happier if they drafted Meyers Leonard? Really? And if you think they should get the free agent bigs on the market, go look at that market again.
• On what made Phoenix a better fit than New Orleans– “the interest. I feel like I’m getting taken advantage of over there just because I’m restricted… if they wanted to…. you know how this CBA, this deal is, it’s built for you to stay with your remaining team, but everything has been taken advantage of”.
I will just say this: The fans of New Orleans will welcome Gordon with open arms next season. They want to embrace him. All he has to do is open his arms up and embrace them back. It’s that simple. Put the business behind you and move on.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10