Jul 6, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
At age 38, Marcus Camby still brings some things to the table — height (6’11”), shot blocking, a deadly pick-and-pop midrange jumper. All things coveted by some contenders.
So that’s who he is meeting with, tweets Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
Rockets center Marcus Camby to meet with Heat on Saturday, source said. Knicks next. Rockets unlikely, and not until after Asik decision.
Camby reportedly wants to play for a contender and wants to get paid — he wants at least the mini mid-level exception of $3 million, not a veteran’s minimum deal. Which means while the Heat are interested and meeting with him they cannot make that offer until after Ray Allen makes his decision. If Allen chooses Miami the Heat may still try to put together a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, reports Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
The Knicks also are shopping their MLE around. Dallas and San Antonio also both have intereest in Camby
For both teams Camby would be a good fit as a big off the bench who could provide quality minutes at both ends. He’s just solid and his game ages well. It’s all going to come down to money. Like always.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 4
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 1
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 6
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 14