Jul 6, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
At age 38, Marcus Camby still brings some things to the table — height (6’11”), shot blocking, a deadly pick-and-pop midrange jumper. All things coveted by some contenders.
So that’s who he is meeting with, tweets Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
Rockets center Marcus Camby to meet with Heat on Saturday, source said. Knicks next. Rockets unlikely, and not until after Asik decision.
Camby reportedly wants to play for a contender and wants to get paid — he wants at least the mini mid-level exception of $3 million, not a veteran’s minimum deal. Which means while the Heat are interested and meeting with him they cannot make that offer until after Ray Allen makes his decision. If Allen chooses Miami the Heat may still try to put together a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, reports Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
The Knicks also are shopping their MLE around. Dallas and San Antonio also both have intereest in Camby
For both teams Camby would be a good fit as a big off the bench who could provide quality minutes at both ends. He’s just solid and his game ages well. It’s all going to come down to money. Like always.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10