Jul 6, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
At age 38, Marcus Camby still brings some things to the table — height (6’11”), shot blocking, a deadly pick-and-pop midrange jumper. All things coveted by some contenders.
So that’s who he is meeting with, tweets Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
Rockets center Marcus Camby to meet with Heat on Saturday, source said. Knicks next. Rockets unlikely, and not until after Asik decision.
Camby reportedly wants to play for a contender and wants to get paid — he wants at least the mini mid-level exception of $3 million, not a veteran’s minimum deal. Which means while the Heat are interested and meeting with him they cannot make that offer until after Ray Allen makes his decision. If Allen chooses Miami the Heat may still try to put together a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, reports Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
The Knicks also are shopping their MLE around. Dallas and San Antonio also both have intereest in Camby
For both teams Camby would be a good fit as a big off the bench who could provide quality minutes at both ends. He’s just solid and his game ages well. It’s all going to come down to money. Like always.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30