Brandon Roy returns to NBA, agrees to deal with Timberwolves for 2 years, $10 million

Jul 6, 2012, 12:03 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Four Getty Images

The prodigal son has returned.

Brandon Roy will return to the National Basketball Association in 2012, as Jason Quick of the Oregonian first reported (and multiple media outlets have confirmed) that Roy has come to terms with the Minnesota Timberwolves on a two-year deal. The deal is reportedly worth just a bit over $10 million. The Timberwolves are taking a five-million-per-year gamble on Roy being able to return after retiring due to a knee condition that limited him for much of the past three seasons.

The Wolves have needed help at the two-guard spot for years and this helps them in that regard, if Roy is able to give them anything. Roy has been working out for months planning this return. The key for him will be to manage his minutes and not try and force things. He’s a competitor but that also means he sometimes loses track of just what he’s capable of.

You’d hate to see this one end in sadness and disappointment again, as hard as the first time was for Roy and his fans. But Roy feels like he honestly has a chance to contribute and be a part of a winning formula for a team, and maybe with Minnesota’s versatility and relative depth, along with Ricky Rubio managing the majority of the ball-handling duties, Roy can get minutes without putting too much of a strain on his body. Defensively, there are going to be issues, but the right system can alleviate that. And who knows? Maybe Roy will surprise everyone, even himself.

One of the game’s great scorers over the past five years is back in the league, and one of the league’s great competitors gets to give it another shot. I’d say that’s good news for everyone.

1. jaydukes2 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

When he first retired I knew he wasn’t done. Glad some team gave him a second chance. Now someone sign Allen Iverson and life will be complete!

2. monkeyhateclean - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The Wolves have several players (eventually including Nic Batum) able to play at the 2-3, so if Roy can play 20-25 productive minutes per game, he’ll be the best natural 2 Minny has ever had.

3. badintent - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

We Seattle Sonics fans we him well. He’s our man.If anyone can come back, it’s him. Hope those Korean stem cells helped him.I have a teaspoon of them everyday in my coffee.Hope the German doctor injects them in Kobe’s feet by mistake and they grow to Shaq size !! With fries.

4. ningenito78 - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Easy dude to root for. But Batum isn’t coming to Minnesota. Portland won’t let that happen.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Too bad Minnesota is gonna offer him a big contract and Portland will have a hard time matching it

• monkeyhateclean - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Portland doesn’t really have a say in it. They can give him a QO for $3.1 mil this year, which he’ll can sign. Next year he’s a UFA, and walks over to Minny or somewhere else, leaving the Blazers with ZERO compensation.

His agent has made it clear that Batum hates the Blazers, and won’t stay. Let them play chicken with him with that QO and watch him laugh in their face next year.

• zeedoubleyou - Jul 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Batum has already verbally agreed to an offer sheet from Minny. Do some research.

• nvandy42 - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

it doesn’t matter if they have a verbal agreement. He can’t sign until the 11th so it means nothing. He wants to go to the Timberwolves and I suspect the next 5 days are going to be spent negotiating a way to make that happen. Batum my not sign the Timberwolves offer if he knows that the Blazers will surely match it because he would be committed to the Blazers, a team he doesnt want to play for, for 4 years and they would be incapable of trading him for that reason. So I would suspect he may use the threat of signing the one year QO and walking after a year leaving the Blazers with nothing. It is a lot of guaranteed money to leave on the table but hell, money cant buy happiness right? haha. The Blazers should be happy to get Derrick Williams and Webster back for Batum. Id even give them Ridnour… Hopefully this will be worked out. Rubio, Roy, Batum, Love, Pekovich would be soooo dirty!!! Top 3 seed in the West for sure.

5. genericcommenter - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Hey, I remember when the Timberwolves had him the first time. Guess they were so bummed they let him go somewhere else and turn into an All-Star, they figure they might as well just give him $10 million after his knees are gone. Makes more sense than the Rockets trying to give $30 million to a guy they cut last year, though.

6. andyreidisfat - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Much love to Mr. Roy. I really would love to see him do well. But i think we just have another T-Mac here.

7. btwicey - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Woohoooooo

8. southpaw77 - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Wow, the Wolves got swindled.
    Just reports of him working out made them pony up, do they honestly think he regrew cartilage and can last under a 82 game schedule.
    Hey Minny, I got a bridge to sell you, you want it!?

PS- Maybe they can go after T-Mac also, he’s got no knees and have the blood spinning done also but at least he had some cartilage left.

9. saint1997 - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Great vid

10. asublimeday - Jul 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Seriously? Minnesota? The bulls are wide open at the 2 and you chose minnesota?

Bet a brother is broke and needs every penny.

• hwatt - Jul 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

more like the Bulls probably offered him the veteran’s minimum for a year since the guy is gonna end up injured anyway, and he just went to where the money was best.

11. btwicey - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Haters. Can’t wait till he dunks on the league. Great sign.

12. brianbosworthisstonecold - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM

badintent | Jul 5, 2012, 9:20 PM PDT
    ——————–

Your sonics only have Rights to keep the name, “sonics”. Your pathetic city does not even have the trophy anymore.

13. cheers4ablumpkin - Jul 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM

Good for him. That’s great news I’ve always respected him.

14. pellypell - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Can Roy even walk? When he left it sounded like he had the knees of an 80 year old carpet fitter, now he is signing 10 Million dollar contracts?

15. 69jaredallen69 - Jul 6, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Asublimeday: don’t think Roy is hurting for money..,he was amnesty player so Blazers are still paying him all the money from his original contract,

16. lalakersalldammdayy24 - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Good luck homie !! Hope u do great!!!

17. fordmandalay - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

He’s really putting his future health in jeopardy – he could wind up making himself a cripple for the rest of his life. I hope he’ll be okay, but will it be worth it?

18. lakerluver - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Great for him. I hope he stays healthy

19. 0pu8bdmx - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It’s going to hurt to see him wearing another team’s uniform.

I hope you do well, B-Roy. I want to say that I can’t wait to hear the standing ovation first time you check in at the Rose Garden, but it’s going to be painful too. I’m glad you’re able to give it another chance. I’m glad you’re going to be doing what you love. I just wish it could still be with the team I love.

• 0pu8bdmx - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I hate double-posting…

20. 0pu8bdmx - Jul 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

It’s going to hurt to see him wearing another team’s uniform.

Good luck to you, #7.

21. nauhurdler - Jul 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM

ESPN insider reports the wolves made these offers yet don’t have the money to do so. they are going to have to trade someone to a team under the cap before these actually go official (Roy and Batum)

22. nvandy42 - Jul 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Derrick Williams gave up #7 to Roy officially on Twitter. Class

23. southpaw77 - Nov 19, 2012 at 3:03 AM

2 years and 10 million and even Batman in his last movie knew this guys knees were shot. We’re a long way away from regrowing knee cartilage, but Brandon got paid.

Thumbs down my comment from this summer now, just was stating the obvious, bad signing.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches