Jul 6, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
The primary reasons Steve Nash is a Laker are he could be close to his children who live in Phoenix, there’s ‘s the chance to contend with Kobe Bryant, and there’s the money (three years, $27 million). Put those in whatever order you deem appropriate.
But after that, there’s his future in movies.
Not necessarily on camera (although Nash does do some amusing videos with his production company). But he has a production company that he wants to grow after he retires, and now he is in Los Angeles. There are more people that can help his business in the first three rows of a Lakers game than in all of Toronto (no offense, Canada).
That was not lost on industry trade publication The Hollywood Reporter, which did a story on him Friday.
The flashy point guard, who was traded to the Lakers on Wednesday after eight years with the Phoenix Suns (the deal becomes official July 11, per NBA rules), runs a production company, Meathawk, with his cousin, Ezra Holland.
Their first feature, Into the Wind — about the life of Terry Fox, an amputee who attempted to run across Canada for cancer research in 1980 — debuted at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and aired as part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 documentary series….
Meathawk has done ads for Nike, VitaminWater, Toyota and EA Sports, some of which have featured the basketball star.
Was it a deciding factor for Nash? No. Will the Canadian deny it was a factor? You betcha.
Did it hurt when the Lakers were making their pitch? Not in the least.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months