Jul 6, 2012, 6:32 PM EST
The primary reasons Steve Nash is a Laker are he could be close to his children who live in Phoenix, there’s ‘s the chance to contend with Kobe Bryant, and there’s the money (three years, $27 million). Put those in whatever order you deem appropriate.
But after that, there’s his future in movies.
Not necessarily on camera (although Nash does do some amusing videos with his production company). But he has a production company that he wants to grow after he retires, and now he is in Los Angeles. There are more people that can help his business in the first three rows of a Lakers game than in all of Toronto (no offense, Canada).
That was not lost on industry trade publication The Hollywood Reporter, which did a story on him Friday.
The flashy point guard, who was traded to the Lakers on Wednesday after eight years with the Phoenix Suns (the deal becomes official July 11, per NBA rules), runs a production company, Meathawk, with his cousin, Ezra Holland.
Their first feature, Into the Wind — about the life of Terry Fox, an amputee who attempted to run across Canada for cancer research in 1980 — debuted at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and aired as part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 documentary series….
Meathawk has done ads for Nike, VitaminWater, Toyota and EA Sports, some of which have featured the basketball star.
Was it a deciding factor for Nash? No. Will the Canadian deny it was a factor? You betcha.
Did it hurt when the Lakers were making their pitch? Not in the least.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)