Jul 6, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
The primary reasons Steve Nash is a Laker are he could be close to his children who live in Phoenix, there’s ‘s the chance to contend with Kobe Bryant, and there’s the money (three years, $27 million). Put those in whatever order you deem appropriate.
But after that, there’s his future in movies.
Not necessarily on camera (although Nash does do some amusing videos with his production company). But he has a production company that he wants to grow after he retires, and now he is in Los Angeles. There are more people that can help his business in the first three rows of a Lakers game than in all of Toronto (no offense, Canada).
That was not lost on industry trade publication The Hollywood Reporter, which did a story on him Friday.
The flashy point guard, who was traded to the Lakers on Wednesday after eight years with the Phoenix Suns (the deal becomes official July 11, per NBA rules), runs a production company, Meathawk, with his cousin, Ezra Holland.
Their first feature, Into the Wind — about the life of Terry Fox, an amputee who attempted to run across Canada for cancer research in 1980 — debuted at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and aired as part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 documentary series….
Meathawk has done ads for Nike, VitaminWater, Toyota and EA Sports, some of which have featured the basketball star.
Was it a deciding factor for Nash? No. Will the Canadian deny it was a factor? You betcha.
Did it hurt when the Lakers were making their pitch? Not in the least.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4