Jul 5, 2012, 7:39 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• I have said I expect the Indiana Pacers to match the max-offer (four years, $58 million) that the Trail Blazers gave Roy Hibbert. Because to me, Indy is pretty average without a true center like Hibbert in the paint and they had to know they would be paying him $12 million or so a year anyway. But Mike Wells, the Pacers beat writer for the Indy Star, doesn’t think they will match it. He’s much closer, maybe I read it wrong. Hibbert will sign the Portland offer July 11 and the Pacers will have three days to make the call.
• The Knicks are still really trying to re-sign J.R. Smith.
• Nicolas Batum‘s agent met with the Trail Blazers front office Thursday and the Blazers came out of the meeting and said they will match any qualifying offer he signs and they will not discuss a sign-and-trade. That will keep his value down.
• Is getting the gang back together for one more run the smart play for the Celtics?
• The Bobcats have waived Jamario Moon.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1