Jul 5, 2012, 2:06 AM EDT
The Suns came to terms with two big free agents the same day they dealt Steve Nash in a sign-and-trade to the Lakers. First, they came to terms with a three-year, $18 million offer for forward Michael Beasley. Then the Suns replaced their point guard with Goran Dragic in a four-year, $34 million agreement.
Beasley gives the Suns a versatile scoring forward who could really thrive with Alvin Gentry as a guiding force, and in a high-pace system where he can get lots of shots. Beasley’s biggest problem is he never makes the smart play, and struggles defensively. Phoenix will give him a locker room that may give him guidance and a system that will provide him with ample scoring opportunities.
The Dragic story is hilarious. Dragic backed up Steve Nash in 2010, and was a major part of the Suns’ Western Conference Finals run. Then he was traded, along with a draft pick, to Houston for Aaron Brooks. Brooks then went to China, and is now a restricted free agent. The Suns got a draft pick (actually two first-rounders) back in the Nash trade. So they got Dragic back, will lose Brooks, and got the pick back, like the original deal never happened.
Only, you know, they lost Steve Nash. That’s kind of important.
The Suns would have a pretty good team if they were to land Eric Gordon with their max offer sheet, but indications are that the Hornets will match. As it stands,the Suns are committing medium-size, medium-term money to be a lottery team with poor chances at winning the lottery. They are officially in purgatory. Dragic is a good player who can take over a game. But the rest of the Suns don’t fit particularly well with Dragic anymore and are uninspiring. Beasley comes with a mountain of headaches.
These are not slam dunks for the Suns. They’re long-range shots, and their best shooter is wearing Lakers gold now.
But “Goran and the Beas” is going to be a great family comedy show.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights