Jul 5, 2012, 2:06 AM EDT
The Suns came to terms with two big free agents the same day they dealt Steve Nash in a sign-and-trade to the Lakers. First, they came to terms with a three-year, $18 million offer for forward Michael Beasley. Then the Suns replaced their point guard with Goran Dragic in a four-year, $34 million agreement.
Beasley gives the Suns a versatile scoring forward who could really thrive with Alvin Gentry as a guiding force, and in a high-pace system where he can get lots of shots. Beasley’s biggest problem is he never makes the smart play, and struggles defensively. Phoenix will give him a locker room that may give him guidance and a system that will provide him with ample scoring opportunities.
The Dragic story is hilarious. Dragic backed up Steve Nash in 2010, and was a major part of the Suns’ Western Conference Finals run. Then he was traded, along with a draft pick, to Houston for Aaron Brooks. Brooks then went to China, and is now a restricted free agent. The Suns got a draft pick (actually two first-rounders) back in the Nash trade. So they got Dragic back, will lose Brooks, and got the pick back, like the original deal never happened.
Only, you know, they lost Steve Nash. That’s kind of important.
The Suns would have a pretty good team if they were to land Eric Gordon with their max offer sheet, but indications are that the Hornets will match. As it stands,the Suns are committing medium-size, medium-term money to be a lottery team with poor chances at winning the lottery. They are officially in purgatory. Dragic is a good player who can take over a game. But the rest of the Suns don’t fit particularly well with Dragic anymore and are uninspiring. Beasley comes with a mountain of headaches.
These are not slam dunks for the Suns. They’re long-range shots, and their best shooter is wearing Lakers gold now.
But “Goran and the Beas” is going to be a great family comedy show.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18