Jul 5, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Even Steve Nash didn’t expect to be a Laker.
Well, he was hip to the idea before the rest of us were, but it was just a couple weeks ago that Nash was saying it would be hard to picture himself as a Laker. But things change in free agency. Fast. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak called Bill Duffy, Nash’s agent, on July 1 to plant the seed and three days latter it blossomed.
Nash went on ESPN 710 Radio in Los Angeles on Thursday and talked about the move, again emphasizing the importance of being close to his family in the decision (as opposed to going to New York or Toronto). Here are some of his highlight quotes:
• “It was a surprise. I said I think 10 days ago that it would be hard for me to put on a Lakers uniform, so for everyone including myself it was a surprise. But things happen. First and foremost the Suns decided to go in a new direction. Then the opportunity to be close to my kids was exciting to me. And I think you’ll agree basketball wise it makes a lot of sense.”
• “Frankly, the idea to be close to my son and my daughters who will be in Phoenix is my No. 1 priority. Now, don’t get me wrong, I think it’s fantastic that I’m a good fit for the team and we have a great team and we are a contender. That’s incredible, too. But as far as getting over the hump and being able to be a Laker after being a Sun and trying to beat the Lakers in the playoffs after all those years, this was too good an opportunity to pass up.”
• On speaking to and being recruited by Kobe Bryant: “To me it was important to speak to (Kobe) to make sure he was completely on board, that he could visualize this as being a good fit and being excited about it. So I spoke to him, I spoke to coach Brown, and they were excited….
“(He can be) Someone to help handle the ball, and to lead. I think he also thought we were complimentary leaders. I’m more on the positive side, he’s more, um, as he said it “crack the whip.”
• “Kobe is still one of the all time great players in this game and I hope he does have the ball in his hands a lot. But I think it takes pressure off him if someone else can handle the ball, get him the ball in spots, maybe get him a few more easy baskets, and at the same time create offense for other guys so he’s not stuck so often having to take on one or two defenders. Perhaps we can all compliment each other because of our different skills. Maybe I can space the floor for those big guys.”
• “I feel like I’m in great shape, I know a lot about my body and I think I’ve learned a lot over the years to preserve the level of play I’m at now. I’m not worried about minutes.”
• He said a championship would not define him “but I’m dying to win one.”
• As for the ongoing Dwight Howard to the Lakers speculation: “(Howard) is a special player, a special talent for sure and I can understand why the Lakers may be recruiting him. But all I know is that for me to get the opportunity to play with Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum that’s amazing. It’d be a pleasure to play with those two. And frankly that’s a lot for me to pick up there, so I’m not even going to speculate with what is going to happen with Dwight.”
• He said he hoped the Lakers would recruit Grant Hill to the team as a reserve.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 18
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 19
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4