Jul 5, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
Magic general manager Rob Hennigan is not just sitting in his office dealing with Dwight Howard trade scenarios.
Okay, that’s probably 90 percent of his day. But there is the other 10 percent, and he’s getting stuff done on that front.
First, he will pick up the $6 million option to bring J.J. Redick back to the Magic for one more season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. No real shock there, that may be at the high end of what Redick should make he is a guy they can count on and fits well with returning point guard Jameer Nelson.
Then there’s the little fact he still needs to hire a head coach sometime.
Interviews will start this week with some of the leading names on the “top assistants ready for a head job carousel” reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The Orlando Magic plan to interview Michael Malone, Brian Shaw, Quin Snyder and Jacque Vaughn for their head-coaching vacancy, the Orlando Sentinel has learned from league sources.
Malone and Shaw have been rumored to be in the running for this job since it opened, which is not a shock as they are arguably the two most respected assistant coaches in the game right now. Malone is the lead assistant with Mark Jackson in Golden State and Shaw is the former Phil Jackson No. 2 who now is the lead assistant with the Pacers. Snyder is an assistant with the Lakers who went deep into the Bobcats coaching search process. Vaughn is an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs.
Other coaches may be added to the list, but they will not be rumored guys for the job Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer or Thunder lead assistant Mo Cheeks, the Sentinel reports. Why not? Good question.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 6
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars