Jul 5, 2012, 6:04 PM EDT
Magic general manager Rob Hennigan is not just sitting in his office dealing with Dwight Howard trade scenarios.
Okay, that’s probably 90 percent of his day. But there is the other 10 percent, and he’s getting stuff done on that front.
First, he will pick up the $6 million option to bring J.J. Redick back to the Magic for one more season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. No real shock there, that may be at the high end of what Redick should make he is a guy they can count on and fits well with returning point guard Jameer Nelson.
Then there’s the little fact he still needs to hire a head coach sometime.
Interviews will start this week with some of the leading names on the “top assistants ready for a head job carousel” reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The Orlando Magic plan to interview Michael Malone, Brian Shaw, Quin Snyder and Jacque Vaughn for their head-coaching vacancy, the Orlando Sentinel has learned from league sources.
Malone and Shaw have been rumored to be in the running for this job since it opened, which is not a shock as they are arguably the two most respected assistant coaches in the game right now. Malone is the lead assistant with Mark Jackson in Golden State and Shaw is the former Phil Jackson No. 2 who now is the lead assistant with the Pacers. Snyder is an assistant with the Lakers who went deep into the Bobcats coaching search process. Vaughn is an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs.
Other coaches may be added to the list, but they will not be rumored guys for the job Spurs lead assistant Mike Budenholzer or Thunder lead assistant Mo Cheeks, the Sentinel reports. Why not? Good question.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 0
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 2
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 46
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 65
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31