Jul 5, 2012, 3:44 AM EDT
When free agency started a few days back we all thought Jeremy Lin would remain with the Knicks when free agency ended.
And he will, it’s just going to cost New York a lot more than it thought.
Lin spent the Fourth of July in Houston with Rockets general manager Daryl Morey and gave him a back-loaded, poison pill offer to come to play in Texas, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Houston’s multiyear offer to Jeremy Lin includes back-loaded money designed to hit the Knicks hard on the luxury tax, sources close to Lin said. The Rockets’ offer comes as the Phoenix Suns reached agreement with Goran Dragic on a four-year, $34 million contract….
The Knicks have publicly and privately indicated they plan to match any offer for Lin.
The back-loaded contract is going to hit the Knicks in the luxury tax in a few years.
Lin looked good last season while running Mike D’Antoni’s offense while Carmelo Anthony was out, but Mike Woodson added a whole lot of Carmelo Anthony and isolation to the Knicks offense. That is less to Lin’s liking.
Doesn’t matter, there are two good reasons the Knicks will match the offer.
Second, what Lin means to the Knicks in terms of marketing — he sells tickets, corporations step up as sponsors, Lin jerseys fly out the door — will cover that contract’s costs.
In the end, this is a business, and Jeremy Lin is a good business to be in.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 1
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 4
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'