Jul 5, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
With the soap opera that is the Dwight Howard saga drawing headlines, it was not a huge story when free agent Jameer Nelson opted for free agency this summer. But with that the Magic could have lost arguably their second best player to a new home.
Instead, Nelson has agreed to a three-year deal to return to the Magic, the point guard told the Orlando Sentinel.
“I was prepared to go where I needed to go to continue my career, and I think I kind of expressed that to the organization,” Nelson said. “But I also told them that I would love to come back.
“Genuinely, I love the city. I love the organization. I’ve learned a lot from the people in the organization. The (Magic owners the) DeVos family means a lot to myself and my family and it means a lot to me that they always put out a winning product.”
Terms of the deal are not yet known, and he cannot sign it until July 11.
Nelson opted out of $8 million for this season and may be getting a little less this season but likely not much. Is that overpaying for him? Maybe, and now you have him until he is age 33 and he could slip a little. But the fact is he was not the problem last season in Orlando — 11.9 points, 5.7 assists, solid game — and when you do go into rebuilding mode after the inevitable Howard trade he is another asset you can move.
This was a solid play by Orlando.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6