Magic reach deal to bring Jameer Nelson back to Orlando

Jul 5, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Indiana Pacers - Game Five Getty Images

With the soap opera that is the Dwight Howard saga drawing headlines, it was not a huge story when free agent Jameer Nelson opted for free agency this summer. But with that the Magic could have lost arguably their second best player to a new home.

Instead, Nelson has agreed to a three-year deal to return to the Magic, the point guard told the Orlando Sentinel.

“I was prepared to go where I needed to go to continue my career, and I think I kind of expressed that to the organization,” Nelson said. “But I also told them that I would love to come back.

“Genuinely, I love the city. I love the organization. I’ve learned a lot from the people in the organization. The (Magic owners the) DeVos family means a lot to myself and my family and it means a lot to me that they always put out a winning product.”

Terms of the deal are not yet known, and he cannot sign it until July 11.

Nelson opted out of $8 million for this season and may be getting a little less this season but likely not much. Is that overpaying for him? Maybe, and now you have him until he is age 33 and he could slip a little. But the fact is he was not the problem last season in Orlando — 11.9 points, 5.7 assists, solid game — and when you do go into rebuilding mode after the inevitable Howard trade he is another asset you can move.

This was a solid play by Orlando.

1. dysraw1 - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

when a good point man walks across the time line ppl. fall into place always saw that when Jameer brings the ball up

2. watermelon1 - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Ah how fitting. They extend the guy who was the real reason they ended up not winning the finals. If they stuck with Courtney lee and rafer alston that year they would have won it all!

• ccshocktalk - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Jameer Nelson played 42 games that season and only 90 minutes in the post season due to an injury. I totally see how it was his fault.

Oh and I totally see how it was Courtney Lee, not Rafer Alston, who had the bigger impact as well. Considering Rafer played more games, more minutes, and averaged more points and rebounds than Courtney Lee…but yeah…you’re right, the Magic totally should have picked Courtney Lee to run the floor instead of Rafer Alston.

3. burnsy - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM

2009, bro. Time to let it go.

4. smiz17 - Jul 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Well, at least we know Jameer’s loyal….lol

This was a good move. However, I would like to know the specifics of the contract…I hope we didn’t overpay.

• terraj35 - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

its the nba. almost everyone is overpayed

• ccshocktalk - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Almost?

5. professorcolumbus - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

It really all depends on the contract for you to say “This was a solid play by Orlando.” He is a slightly-above-average-and-certainly-not-getting-any-better PG.

6. lastdukestreetking - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Jameer is a 30 year old pg who is slow, turnover prone and an inconsistent shooter. Where was he gonna go?

7. terraj35 - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Shooting guard trapped in a point guards body. Magic continue paying a guy who doesnt make players around him better the way a PG is suppose to. Assuming they lose Dwight, why pay Jameer when the magic will suck either way. Just desperate to have fans come to the new arena.

8. vstyle23 - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Seriously, let it go!! Lol! That wasn’t on him anyways it was on whoever put him in the game

Now to some other business. We need to go get Lob City, yes Blake and Deandre J. Let them have Dwight. His offense sucks anyways.

• terraj35 - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM

They magic tried to do dwight for blake straight up and the clippers gave them an emphatic no, so I dont think they’re gonna add deandre lol

9. magicbucs - Jul 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

@watermelon1…. He had just come back from 3 months injured. Otis and stan played him too many minutes in those finals.
    I’ve met jameer several times at my old job. great guy and gave me fist bumps every time i saw him. sometimes he plays out of control but is a class act. He will lead the new magic for the next 2 seasons then probably be traded.

10. hirnu - Jul 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Jameer should have averaged 10+ assists a game with Dwightmare. Nash would be 16+.

11. finatic001 - Jul 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

There saying Jameer is there second best player thats really not saying much. He dribbles the ball entirely to much and loses it most of the time most of the turnovers come from him.

12. tsi431 - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

The Magic should sell advertisements on his mouth guard. It’s outside his mouth more then in it, disgusting.

13. ch8878 - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Glad to see Jameer Nelson coming back hes a true class act and a very hard worker.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches