Jul 5, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:03 pm: No Jason Kidd, either.
Mavericks officials thought they had a deal close, as you can read below, but Kidd has decided to become the new point guard for Mike Woodson and the New York Knicks. Details coming.
So the Dallas Mavericks are back with 39-year-old Jason Kidd, and they are not talking a one-year deal either, reports ESPN.
Sources with knowledge of the deal specifics told ESPN.com’s Marc Stein that Kidd’s contract will be a three-year deal worth $9 million, taking him to age 42 if he plays it all the way out.
Kidd has played 18 NBA seasons and is one of the legendary point guards of the game, but he is well into the back end of his career. Last season Kidd gave the Mavericks 28 minutes with 6.2 points and 5.5 assists per game, and his play was solid if not his old spectacular self. He also missed 18 regular season games due to injury.
Kidd may not play all three years and may be a trade chip depending on what direction the Mavericks go as they try to reload — or maybe flat out rebuild — over the next few years.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte