Jul 5, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Miami has put on the full court press to lure Ray Allen to the Heat.
2morrow is a big day for#HeatNation..
Thursday is the day Allen meets with Heat brass and discusses joining the Heat.
Memphis has offered Allen the mid-level exception ($5 million), the Timberwolves and Clippers have spoke to him as well, but the conventional wisdom is this is a two horse race — Boston or Miami.
Boston is offering two years at $6 million a year, but they are also offering a comfort level and familiarity. Which is huge for Ray Allen, a creature of routine. But the Celtics started Avery Bradley at the two last year and just agreed to a deal with Jason Terry, giving them a lot of guards in the rotation.
Miami will offer $3 million a year for three years (the mini mid-level, which is the most they can offer). They also will offer a lot of minutes in a small-ball rotation and they offer a serious shot at a ring — we saw in Game 5 of the finals how hard the Heat are to beat when their supporting cast is knocking down threes around Wade, LeBron and Chris Bosh.
What is most important to Ray Allen? Does his relationship with Rajon Rondo play into this? He wants to chase another ring, does he believe Boston can do that again? How much do minutes matter and where would he get the most? He’s been mentioned in trade rumors the past couple years, will that stop if he stays with the Celtics? Where is he most comfortable?
We will find out the answers to those questions pretty soon. Maybe Thursday.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21