Jul 5, 2012, 8:20 AM EST
Miami has put on the full court press to lure Ray Allen to the Heat.
2morrow is a big day for#HeatNation..
Thursday is the day Allen meets with Heat brass and discusses joining the Heat.
Memphis has offered Allen the mid-level exception ($5 million), the Timberwolves and Clippers have spoke to him as well, but the conventional wisdom is this is a two horse race — Boston or Miami.
Boston is offering two years at $6 million a year, but they are also offering a comfort level and familiarity. Which is huge for Ray Allen, a creature of routine. But the Celtics started Avery Bradley at the two last year and just agreed to a deal with Jason Terry, giving them a lot of guards in the rotation.
Miami will offer $3 million a year for three years (the mini mid-level, which is the most they can offer). They also will offer a lot of minutes in a small-ball rotation and they offer a serious shot at a ring — we saw in Game 5 of the finals how hard the Heat are to beat when their supporting cast is knocking down threes around Wade, LeBron and Chris Bosh.
What is most important to Ray Allen? Does his relationship with Rajon Rondo play into this? He wants to chase another ring, does he believe Boston can do that again? How much do minutes matter and where would he get the most? He’s been mentioned in trade rumors the past couple years, will that stop if he stays with the Celtics? Where is he most comfortable?
We will find out the answers to those questions pretty soon. Maybe Thursday.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15