Jul 4, 2012, 12:19 AM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets were never going to let Eric Gordon go, the only question was how much it was going to cost to keep him.
The answer is a max deal, $58 million over four years.
Gordon, a restricted free agent, had been meeting with teams all over the map trying to find someone, anyone to give him a max deal. Because he wants to get paid. He found his partner in Phoenix. Gordon released a statement Tuesday night saying he was excited about becoming a Sun.
“After visiting the Suns, the impression the organization made on me was incredible. Mr. Sarver, Lon Babby, Lance Blanks, the front office staff and Coach (Alvin) Gentry run a first-class organization, and I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now,” Gordon said in his statement.
Not so fast, Suns fans.
The Hornets have the right to match any offer and they want badly to pair Gordon with No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis. And they will, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The New Orleans Hornets will match the 4-year, $58 million offer sheet Eric Gordon agreed to sign with Phoenix, league source tells Y!
So while nobody can sign anything until July 11, we now know how the Eric Gordon saga will play out. He’s staying in the Big Easy.
With Gordon, Davis and young players like No. 10 pick Austin Rivers the Hornets are starting to build the foundation of a future contender. There is a long way to go still, but it would have been a much longer road without Gordon, arguably the best young shooting guard in the game.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18