Jul 4, 2012, 12:19 AM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets were never going to let Eric Gordon go, the only question was how much it was going to cost to keep him.
The answer is a max deal, $58 million over four years.
Gordon, a restricted free agent, had been meeting with teams all over the map trying to find someone, anyone to give him a max deal. Because he wants to get paid. He found his partner in Phoenix. Gordon released a statement Tuesday night saying he was excited about becoming a Sun.
“After visiting the Suns, the impression the organization made on me was incredible. Mr. Sarver, Lon Babby, Lance Blanks, the front office staff and Coach (Alvin) Gentry run a first-class organization, and I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now,” Gordon said in his statement.
Not so fast, Suns fans.
The Hornets have the right to match any offer and they want badly to pair Gordon with No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis. And they will, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The New Orleans Hornets will match the 4-year, $58 million offer sheet Eric Gordon agreed to sign with Phoenix, league source tells Y!
So while nobody can sign anything until July 11, we now know how the Eric Gordon saga will play out. He’s staying in the Big Easy.
With Gordon, Davis and young players like No. 10 pick Austin Rivers the Hornets are starting to build the foundation of a future contender. There is a long way to go still, but it would have been a much longer road without Gordon, arguably the best young shooting guard in the game.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy