Jul 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
It has a nice ring of patriotism to have Spencer Hawes decide on July 4 there is no place like our former national capital Philadelphia and agree to stay with the red, white and blue 76ers.
Which is exactly what happened, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Free-agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two -year, $13.1 million contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers, Hawes’ agent, Greg Lawrence, told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawes had an injury-plagued regular season with the 76ers. Early in the season he was key to the Sixers strong play — his passing skills had the ball moving side to side in the offense, and the team looked good. But after he returned from an Achilles injury he never looked quite right again…
Well, until the playoff round with the Bulls. He showed off a scoring touch in games 3 and 4 (43 points combined) and was key for the Sixers on the boards holding off the aggressive rebounding of the Bulls.
A few Sixers fans probably think Hawes got overpaid, but frankly that’s what happens when you’re 7’1”. Bigs get overpaid. Simple supply an demand.
Hawes can sign the deal on July 11.
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 4
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 7
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 31