Jul 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
It has a nice ring of patriotism to have Spencer Hawes decide on July 4 there is no place like our former national capital Philadelphia and agree to stay with the red, white and blue 76ers.
Which is exactly what happened, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Free-agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two -year, $13.1 million contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers, Hawes’ agent, Greg Lawrence, told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawes had an injury-plagued regular season with the 76ers. Early in the season he was key to the Sixers strong play — his passing skills had the ball moving side to side in the offense, and the team looked good. But after he returned from an Achilles injury he never looked quite right again…
Well, until the playoff round with the Bulls. He showed off a scoring touch in games 3 and 4 (43 points combined) and was key for the Sixers on the boards holding off the aggressive rebounding of the Bulls.
A few Sixers fans probably think Hawes got overpaid, but frankly that’s what happens when you’re 7’1”. Bigs get overpaid. Simple supply an demand.
Hawes can sign the deal on July 11.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49