Jul 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
It has a nice ring of patriotism to have Spencer Hawes decide on July 4 there is no place like our former national capital Philadelphia and agree to stay with the red, white and blue 76ers.
Which is exactly what happened, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Free-agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two -year, $13.1 million contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers, Hawes’ agent, Greg Lawrence, told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawes had an injury-plagued regular season with the 76ers. Early in the season he was key to the Sixers strong play — his passing skills had the ball moving side to side in the offense, and the team looked good. But after he returned from an Achilles injury he never looked quite right again…
Well, until the playoff round with the Bulls. He showed off a scoring touch in games 3 and 4 (43 points combined) and was key for the Sixers on the boards holding off the aggressive rebounding of the Bulls.
A few Sixers fans probably think Hawes got overpaid, but frankly that’s what happens when you’re 7’1”. Bigs get overpaid. Simple supply an demand.
Hawes can sign the deal on July 11.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 0
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 18
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42