Jul 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EST
It has a nice ring of patriotism to have Spencer Hawes decide on July 4 there is no place like our former national capital Philadelphia and agree to stay with the red, white and blue 76ers.
Which is exactly what happened, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Free-agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two -year, $13.1 million contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers, Hawes’ agent, Greg Lawrence, told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawes had an injury-plagued regular season with the 76ers. Early in the season he was key to the Sixers strong play — his passing skills had the ball moving side to side in the offense, and the team looked good. But after he returned from an Achilles injury he never looked quite right again…
Well, until the playoff round with the Bulls. He showed off a scoring touch in games 3 and 4 (43 points combined) and was key for the Sixers on the boards holding off the aggressive rebounding of the Bulls.
A few Sixers fans probably think Hawes got overpaid, but frankly that’s what happens when you’re 7’1”. Bigs get overpaid. Simple supply an demand.
Hawes can sign the deal on July 11.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11