Jul 4, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT
It has a nice ring of patriotism to have Spencer Hawes decide on July 4 there is no place like our former national capital Philadelphia and agree to stay with the red, white and blue 76ers.
Which is exactly what happened, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Free-agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to a two -year, $13.1 million contract extension with the Philadelphia 76ers, Hawes’ agent, Greg Lawrence, told Yahoo! Sports.
Hawes had an injury-plagued regular season with the 76ers. Early in the season he was key to the Sixers strong play — his passing skills had the ball moving side to side in the offense, and the team looked good. But after he returned from an Achilles injury he never looked quite right again…
Well, until the playoff round with the Bulls. He showed off a scoring touch in games 3 and 4 (43 points combined) and was key for the Sixers on the boards holding off the aggressive rebounding of the Bulls.
A few Sixers fans probably think Hawes got overpaid, but frankly that’s what happens when you’re 7’1”. Bigs get overpaid. Simple supply an demand.
Hawes can sign the deal on July 11.
- Report: Timberwolves make push to acquire Eric Bledsoe with max offer in sign-and-trade 0
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25