Jul 4, 2012, 2:32 AM EDT
Well, so much for that plan.
With Deron Williams choosing the Nets, the Mavericks are going to have to put together some sort of backup plan. And according to ESPN Dallas, the next targets are point guards.
Sources say the Mavs will pursue Nash and the New York Knicks’ Lin, who is a restricted free agent. As such, the Knicks can match any offer made to Lin.
The Mavericks are still in talks with Jason Kidd to return as well, but both of these options would be a better option short and long-term. Lin would inspire some level of excitement but you have to wonder if it could come back to bite them as the Mavericks have so little information to work off of with Lin. The Knicks can also match any offer for Lin. Nash would be a fitting end to his career after leaving the team when Mark Cuban elected not to pursue retaining him in free agency.
Neither is Deron Williams, but both would represent at least a temporary salve on the burning wound of losing out on Williams.
Part of the issue is that the Mavericks haven’t landed a top free agent in quite a while. That’s a disturbing trend they’re trying to buck. But more than that is the concern that the Mavericks need a major star, and they’re running out of them. It’s back to the drawing board, but at least one of these point guards would bring some excitement to the team.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 23
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4