Jul 4, 2012, 2:32 AM EDT
Well, so much for that plan.
With Deron Williams choosing the Nets, the Mavericks are going to have to put together some sort of backup plan. And according to ESPN Dallas, the next targets are point guards.
Sources say the Mavs will pursue Nash and the New York Knicks’ Lin, who is a restricted free agent. As such, the Knicks can match any offer made to Lin.
The Mavericks are still in talks with Jason Kidd to return as well, but both of these options would be a better option short and long-term. Lin would inspire some level of excitement but you have to wonder if it could come back to bite them as the Mavericks have so little information to work off of with Lin. The Knicks can also match any offer for Lin. Nash would be a fitting end to his career after leaving the team when Mark Cuban elected not to pursue retaining him in free agency.
Neither is Deron Williams, but both would represent at least a temporary salve on the burning wound of losing out on Williams.
Part of the issue is that the Mavericks haven’t landed a top free agent in quite a while. That’s a disturbing trend they’re trying to buck. But more than that is the concern that the Mavericks need a major star, and they’re running out of them. It’s back to the drawing board, but at least one of these point guards would bring some excitement to the team.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 18
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (76)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record