Jul 4, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
The number of teams interested in Jeremy Lin is multiplying like rabbits.
That includes one of the teams that Lin him go before he became a sensation — Lin is set to meet Wednesday with the Houston Rockets.
And expect the Rockets to make an offer, according to the Associated Press. Other reports suggest this could be a four-year, $30 million poison pill offer.
This news follows the reports that the Dallas Mavericks are going to make a run at Lin. The Raptors are said to be interested. There are others. Apparently everybody saw those two weeks when Lin looked really good.
But Knicks want to keep him — they have the right to match any offer and probably will. He means that much in terms of marketing.
If a team is going to get Lin they are going to have to use a poison pill on the Knicks — which is apparently what the Rockets are thinking. A poison pill means first two years of the deal would be for $5 million but a team can make the third and fourth years for much more. Say $10 million (which is how you get to $30 million for four yearS). A big third year will gives the Knicks pause because they already have some rather large salaries on the books in a couple years and the more punitive luxury tax will have kicked in.
But Lin is worth so much off the court — selling tickets, marketing, etc — don’t be surprised if the Knicks bring him back anyway.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 1
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)