Jul 4, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The number of teams interested in Jeremy Lin is multiplying like rabbits.
That includes one of the teams that Lin him go before he became a sensation — Lin is set to meet Wednesday with the Houston Rockets.
And expect the Rockets to make an offer, according to the Associated Press. Other reports suggest this could be a four-year, $30 million poison pill offer.
This news follows the reports that the Dallas Mavericks are going to make a run at Lin. The Raptors are said to be interested. There are others. Apparently everybody saw those two weeks when Lin looked really good.
But Knicks want to keep him — they have the right to match any offer and probably will. He means that much in terms of marketing.
If a team is going to get Lin they are going to have to use a poison pill on the Knicks — which is apparently what the Rockets are thinking. A poison pill means first two years of the deal would be for $5 million but a team can make the third and fourth years for much more. Say $10 million (which is how you get to $30 million for four yearS). A big third year will gives the Knicks pause because they already have some rather large salaries on the books in a couple years and the more punitive luxury tax will have kicked in.
But Lin is worth so much off the court — selling tickets, marketing, etc — don’t be surprised if the Knicks bring him back anyway.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 7
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 12