Jul 4, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
The number of teams interested in Jeremy Lin is multiplying like rabbits.
That includes one of the teams that Lin him go before he became a sensation — Lin is set to meet Wednesday with the Houston Rockets.
And expect the Rockets to make an offer, according to the Associated Press. Other reports suggest this could be a four-year, $30 million poison pill offer.
This news follows the reports that the Dallas Mavericks are going to make a run at Lin. The Raptors are said to be interested. There are others. Apparently everybody saw those two weeks when Lin looked really good.
But Knicks want to keep him — they have the right to match any offer and probably will. He means that much in terms of marketing.
If a team is going to get Lin they are going to have to use a poison pill on the Knicks — which is apparently what the Rockets are thinking. A poison pill means first two years of the deal would be for $5 million but a team can make the third and fourth years for much more. Say $10 million (which is how you get to $30 million for four yearS). A big third year will gives the Knicks pause because they already have some rather large salaries on the books in a couple years and the more punitive luxury tax will have kicked in.
But Lin is worth so much off the court — selling tickets, marketing, etc — don’t be surprised if the Knicks bring him back anyway.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85