Jul 4, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
The Clippers’ plans in free agency are fairly simple, and make a lot of sense to anyone who watched them last season: Upgrade the outside shooting to open things up for Chris Paul and Blake Griffin to do what they do inside.
Crawford was impressed by his visit to the Clippers’ facility, and the organization was impressed by the 6-5 guard.
The Clippers could offer a free agent a mid-level exception deal starting at $5 million and worth up to $21.7 million over four years.
They are willing to offer Crawford, 32, a three-year deal worth about $15.7 million, according to the NBA executives.
Crawford is wanted by plenty of teams, but of those reported, the Clippers seem to have the best shot at winning in the immediate future. If they decide to make that offer, it might be be tough for Crawford to pass up.
But the Clippers have other targets to consider, as well.
The team is set to meet with Ray Allen on Friday, though Allen will likely have a decent offer from the Celtics and a lesser one from the Heat on the table, in addition to anything L.A. may or may not decide to come up with.
Courtney Lee may also be on the Clippers’ radar, now that he’s an unrestricted free agent due to the Rockets’ decision not to make him a qualifying offer. He’s a better defender than Crawford and can shoot the corner three with a high level of accuracy, and may even come a bit cheaper. But if the Clippers have their choice, it’s more easy to see them going with a proven veteran like Crawford or Allen if they get the chance.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32