Jul 4, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
The Clippers’ plans in free agency are fairly simple, and make a lot of sense to anyone who watched them last season: Upgrade the outside shooting to open things up for Chris Paul and Blake Griffin to do what they do inside.
Crawford was impressed by his visit to the Clippers’ facility, and the organization was impressed by the 6-5 guard.
The Clippers could offer a free agent a mid-level exception deal starting at $5 million and worth up to $21.7 million over four years.
They are willing to offer Crawford, 32, a three-year deal worth about $15.7 million, according to the NBA executives.
Crawford is wanted by plenty of teams, but of those reported, the Clippers seem to have the best shot at winning in the immediate future. If they decide to make that offer, it might be be tough for Crawford to pass up.
But the Clippers have other targets to consider, as well.
The team is set to meet with Ray Allen on Friday, though Allen will likely have a decent offer from the Celtics and a lesser one from the Heat on the table, in addition to anything L.A. may or may not decide to come up with.
Courtney Lee may also be on the Clippers’ radar, now that he’s an unrestricted free agent due to the Rockets’ decision not to make him a qualifying offer. He’s a better defender than Crawford and can shoot the corner three with a high level of accuracy, and may even come a bit cheaper. But if the Clippers have their choice, it’s more easy to see them going with a proven veteran like Crawford or Allen if they get the chance.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39