Jul 4, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
All the world loves a stretch four.
Apparently, anyway. There has been a lot of interest in Turkish forward Ersan Ilyasova, one of those players that leads most fans to shrug but most GMs to nod knowingly.
Ilyasova had talks with Toronto and Milwaukee (and the Nets, although after Brooklyn reached a deal with Mirza Teletović from Europe they are likely out of these sweepstakes). Cleveland is reportedly interested as well.
To keep him, the Bucks have stepped up with a five-year offer, tweets Gery Woelfel of the Journal Times. That length has some Bucks fans balking, but it may be what is needed to keep him. Of course, the real question is for how much money. We don’t know that yet, we just know money talks.
Trying to create leverage, Ilyasova’s agent also has told Hoopsworld there is “a big offer” from a European club.
Other teams may jump into the fray for Ilyasova. Why, when you just shrug? And he does give you “just” 13 points and 8.8 boards a game, but he does that very efficiently and can play inside out. He shot 60 percent at the rim (where he took 4.1 shots per game) but also shot 45 percent from three (1.9 shots per game). He’s a good rebounder, grabbing 17.6 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor. He plays a smart game.
Teams want him. The Bucks have made the offer but as other teams miss out on their first targets others may take a swing at players front offices like. The Bucks probably land him though, five years is a lot of security to turn down (and he is just 25).
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 2
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 13
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41