Jul 3, 2012, 2:34 AM EDT
Dwight Howard is struggling with that. His plan to end up on the Brooklyn Nets — already a public relations disaster as he disavows saying the Magic blackmailed him. Then came a big blow on Monday when the Nets traded to get Joe Johnson. Howard’s grand plan was blown up.
The Nets are not out of the running. In fact, some Nets fans on twitter were more than happy to tell me that nothing really changed. Well, that’s the problem. The Magic have rejected the Brook Lopez, MarShon Brooks and some first round picks offer for a year now, why is that going to suddenly change? And with the contract of Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace on the books, the Nets can’t afford him as a free agent.
So what is he going to do? Add the Mavs to the list, reports Ric Bucher of ESPN.
Source: With Nets out of equation, Mavs go to top of Dwight Howard’s wish list. No other teams – Lakers included – on it. For now…. That didn’t take long: now being told not to count out DH still making his way to the Nets. So list now is: 1.(Nets) Mavs.
First, take this all with a grain of salt. Actually, an entire shaker.
He may want the Nets but that is not happening anytime soon. Orlando is in no rush to make a deal, they are not the ones who look bad right now. Why would the Magic suddenly accept an offer they have rejected for this long?
Except for the little factor of what are the Mavs going to trade for Howard that the Magic actually want?
The problem for the Magic is the pool of candidates seeking Howard is shrinking. The Golden State Warriors are out. The Nets limited their options. The only new team potentially jumping into the fray could be the Atlanta Hawks (they have said nothing but their moves the last 48 hours make it possible), and Howard has long shot down the idea of returning to the town where he grew up. Howard is still dead-set against the Lakers.
All of which is to say, this is nowhere near over and the outcome is far from clear. So buckle your seat belts, we are in for a bumpy ride.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34