Jul 3, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Rudy Fernandez has wanted to get back to play in Spain as badly as Pepe Le Pew wants that poor black cat who keeps accidentally getting the white stripe down its back. And Fernandez was about that subtle about it.
Now he is finally going to get his wish. Fernandez is going to announce Wednesday he has inked a deal with Real Madrid, according to reports within the Spanish press.
This is not a shock. Denver didn’t even bother to make him a restricted free agent to retain his rights.
Fernandez showed potential as an NBA rotation player and maybe starter, but never felt he was featured enough in Portland. And he never seemed to feel at home there, well, at least until his final year, when he was traded. Two summers ago Fernandez whined and tried to get Portland to release him so he could go to Spain and play. Last summer during the lockout he did play for Real Madrid but had to return after the lockout. He eventually landed with Denver, who didn’t try very hard to keep him.
You may well never see Fernandez in the NBA again. However his back is reportedly better and you will see him as part of the Spanish national team in the Olympics.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 1
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 7
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 35
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars