Jul 3, 2012, 3:51 PM EDT
Rudy Fernandez has wanted to get back to play in Spain as badly as Pepe Le Pew wants that poor black cat who keeps accidentally getting the white stripe down its back. And Fernandez was about that subtle about it.
Now he is finally going to get his wish. Fernandez is going to announce Wednesday he has inked a deal with Real Madrid, according to reports within the Spanish press.
This is not a shock. Denver didn’t even bother to make him a restricted free agent to retain his rights.
Fernandez showed potential as an NBA rotation player and maybe starter, but never felt he was featured enough in Portland. And he never seemed to feel at home there, well, at least until his final year, when he was traded. Two summers ago Fernandez whined and tried to get Portland to release him so he could go to Spain and play. Last summer during the lockout he did play for Real Madrid but had to return after the lockout. He eventually landed with Denver, who didn’t try very hard to keep him.
You may well never see Fernandez in the NBA again. However his back is reportedly better and you will see him as part of the Spanish national team in the Olympics.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14